Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am wanting a Brazilian Rainbow Boa but I am wondering why they are so expensive, when lately every shop I go into has a couple.

The cheapest at the moment is £118 delivered any one know any where cheaper. :D

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
probably so that to buy one, you really have to want one, they have more demanding requirements than a corn or other beginner snake and if they were really cheap then everyone would buy them because they are nice looking, then there would be loads of them not being looked after properly, and because they are quite highly sought after so the breeders can demand a higher price.
Thats what i think anyway. :D

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
markhill said:
probably so that to buy one, you really have to want one, they have more demanding requirements than a corn or other beginner snake and if they were really cheap then everyone would buy them because they are nice looking, then there would be loads of them not being looked after properly, and because they are quite highly sought after so the breeders can demand a higher price.
Thats what i think anyway. :D
Then why are baby Iguanas so cheap?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
dont know!

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Because a female Iguana can lay over 50 eggs, and it's rare that you can find 50 people who actually want one!

Just remember, the cheapest one won't always be the best one to get. You have to wonder why it is so cheap compared to the rest of the market - is it feeing? are they looking after it properly? are they trying to shift it quick - why?
It's better to spend an extra few quid and find one that you can see before purchase, see the feeding record, and are totally happy with.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
its also rare that people can actually breed iggies,i have heard many people say they have, i bet there is only a few that really have.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
also the vast majority of Iguana's for sale are wild caught or harvested,and are bought in from the trappers for around £6 each then sold out through shops as cute little babies for £20 a pop!
It's a dreadfull practice,and Iguana's remain the most abandonned reptile in the hobby,even more so than the giant snakes that find their way into rescue centers everyday.For every large burm that is taken in by a rescue,you can count on many more iggy's.

G

·
not being funny but if you want one PAY the money out lmao
£118 is not expensive for a quality looking snake i have paid a tiny bit more for some of my snakes :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I know I think I am going to, its probably the fact I havent paid more than £70 for a snake before :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
carpet-man said:
oh add £1530 to that then bud for one snake plus £40 petrol to collect and i am addicted yes :lol:
and I am whining about £118 :lol: you must be rich as well, I can just imagine what the wife would say if i said can I spend £1500 on a snake :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
They were going for £75 each in Holland this year. I reckon the price is gonna go down soon a lot of people have bought them recently.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well 118 quid isn’t that much for a Rainbow boa from what i know, maybe you could get it cheaper from expos and shows... but I would say it's not as common as a corn snake and some reptile shops can sell their "Normals" for 40 - 50 quid, so for a pet shop it's kind of justified.

As for the iguana, they are probably cheap because of loads of breeding farms and they are so common... there is more supply then demand. There are probably more iguanas then a lot of other species of reptiles being bred, yet there are probably less people who own iguanas then a lot of other 'common' reptile breeds.

Anyone who would take a 20 quid iguana over a 60 quid beardie because it's cheaper I would call that person an idiot.

Iguanas take LOADS more care then a lot of other reptiles, the food is very important it's not like just chopping up lettuce and feeding the iguana once every two days, the type of lettuce is important, you will have to learn the different veggies your iguana can take, because they like change. And you need to supply more then just lettuce, it's not really lettuce it's more 'leafy greens' very high in calcium, plus you add squash, parsnip, string beans, and the calcium powder, alfalfa powder... and a few other bits including fruit. You will have to make the every day fresh because if it isn’t fresh your iguana will not eat it.

Iguanas also get traumatized and affected by bad experiences, maybe you left it a lone for a little while longer then you would normally... when you come back he could be all pouty, they let you know when you have done something wrong!

It's as simple as this, pet shops sell them as cute little lizards that are all bright green (like a Chinese water dragon) but they don’t FULLY explain what it takes to keep one... yeah they may say it could get to 6 feet, but they don’t say the real NEEDS for an iguana... I got sold a desert heat rock for a TREE dwelling lizard so yeah......

If you leave a bearded dragon for a couple of days... it's fine but an iguana that’s pretty much impossible with out getting whipped or a very very stressed lizard... you will need someone to look after it which is not easy, he needs his regular poops everyday.

How many people who are buying there first lizard can handle that? So the people selling them say this or that but not everything, and sell them cheap, not everyone would complain if a 20 quid lizard dies of stress because the pet shop never told you what to do.

Matt

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
fazer600sy said:
Yeah I know I think I am going to, its probably the fact I havent paid more than £70 for a snake before :lol:
wish i could say that lol

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
i paid £180 for my 06 male, what you moaning about £118 delivered is a steal if its a complete snake:) and carpet man, thats a beauty, where'd you get it? i got a diamond-x-zebra sib last week.. £250 plus £40 petrol down to surrey.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Re: BRB's

Watch out for about 30 BRB's coming out of my 2 gravid females. They are both big and should give birth about April. When I'm happy with feeds and sheds they'll be £75 each. :p :p

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Re: BRB's

Scoffa said:
Watch out for about 30 BRB's coming out of my 2 gravid females. They are both big and should give birth about April. When I'm happy with feeds and sheds they'll be £75 each. :p :p
One of them males is mine :wink:

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
i have a royal and a wee brb i paid £136 for my brb but i got the faunarium/heat mat/sub and the pinkys (all for £136 which was a really good deal) and shes absolutly beautiful i u want a brb then u will pay more for one than u would a corn or an other kind of snake it all depends how much you really want it

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That seems quite a good price to me.

I paid more than that for my carpet python.

I must admit I did like the look of the BRB but had my heart set on a python. I just like pythons over Boas for some reason.

And in answer to your question:

Price (or average price) is governed purely by demand.

If a snake is harder to breed or gives fewer young then the offspring will be worth more.
If it's a new morph with not many gene carrying parents in the country then the demand to avaliability will be high and in turn the price will also be high.
If they are ten to teh penny then they will be cheaper. Like your common corns and even Royals seem to be cheaper than they used to be. This must be due to the supply increasing of the demand decreasing. Not sure which.

Take a look at the UK pythons site and you will get an idea of what an expensive snake is. I don't even think their cheapest snake is for less than the BRB you have seen.

www.ukpythons.co.uk

You will see what I mean about rare morphs fetching more.

I want one of those Jags in a few years. Hopefully they will be under £1000 by then since avaliability will go up. I hope!!!.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts