Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had my 2 leo's in the same viv now for about 6 months and they get along well, but they haven't mated. is there anything i can do to get it roling, or do i have to just let nature takes its course?
also is there any reason why they haven't mated?
thanks

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I dont know any thing about leos but I would say try turning the temp up to simulate mating season

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah my temps are normal but ill give that a try thanks :)

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
lack of mating could be down to several reasons ~ female not ready and/or too young, leo's not upto condition/health, two females and not a pair ;)
If it's definately a male/female then would say seperate them into their own vivs, get them upto condition and then try introducing the male next breeding season ;)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are in good condition though male is 74 grams and the girl is 52 grams both active have nutrobol bowls aswell as calcium sprinkled onto their food.
they live in a 4 foot x 1&1/2 x 1&1/2 viv
they are definatley male and female :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
you dont always witness breeding.. sometimes she just looks plumper.. you can see eggs. or sometimes you dont notice anything then eggs appear in teh water dish cause you were unexpectant of it:mad: lol

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
have nutrobol bowls aswell as calcium sprinkled onto their food.
would have calcium in a dish not nutrabol and dust with calcium during the week and with nutrabol at weekends ;)
conditions aren't just down to how much a female weighs plus if she's not ovulating then your best bet would be to seperate then try again when breeding season starts ;)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i had a dish velimite (sp) down for ages but gave up and took it out.
i have since put another one back in and shown her it (you never know she might have paid attention) but shes still skinny (not mistreated skinny but ungravid skinny) do you think the boys too big for her?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would have calcium in a dish not nutrabol and dust with calcium during the week and with nutrabol at weekends ;)
conditions aren't just down to how much a female weighs plus if she's not ovulating then your best bet would be to seperate then try again when breeding season starts ;)
ah ok :)
when does the breeding season start? also they are really close im afraid, when i had them seperated last time (the viv was sectioned off) the girl kept escaping into the males side of the viv hence the reason they live together now, i gave up trying to keep them apart

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
I had my leos for some time before they mated and absolutely ages before I got fertile eggs. Just the way nature goes sometimes. If all conditions are correct and the animals are fine then it's pot luck I guess. I'm sure they will get urge at some point lol.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i hope lol
she like sto stand on his head and even though they have a few hides in there they still sleep in the same one :)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have a trio or leos in one of my set ups, and only the one (my mack snow) has produced eggs this yr, so I'm thinking either my other female isn't ovulating (I have witnessed my male mating with both females, on several occasions, lucky me hey! lol) or she's just not ready! (even though she's very good size, and 3 yrs old) think it's just the way it goes sometimes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts