·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think folk don't know other species exist? Or is it that they've heard C&R are easy?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
They most likely heard that there poop is the worst abomination known to man or beast (and quite a few women)

It's like mutated jellied poop! If it didn't smell so bad i could sell it to tourists in London as home made jellied eels!

I could scoop it into air tight jars and whack a vegan friendly label on it:whistling2:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
And folk say the same thing about Mexican Black Kingsnake musk and it just isn't true, there are worse things in life!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My favourite snake book has loads of different snakes in it.. but I have never heard of these Pituophis (Cedar, Marmot or Cow) snakes before!.. Why is that?!
The book's title is 'The complete Ball python'...

Tom

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My favourite snake book has loads of different snakes in it.. but I have never heard of these Pituophis (Cedar, Marmot or Cow) snakes before!.. Why is that?!
The book's title is 'The complete Ball python'...

Tom
Tim, ;) , I think you have the old version. These are new morphs. Don't worry. Sleep now!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
It's a crying shame so many people don't know about Pituophis and many other fascinating snake species!

Corns and royals are nice enough, but there are so many other species! I'm not anti-morph by any stretch, but why not have loads of different species and have even more variety than simply a different paint job?

I don't currently own any Pituophis (mainly because of space), but they are on my wishlist and have been ever since i saw a gorgeous pine snake years ago.

There are more snakes in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your Corn/Royal philosophy, Horatio!

Reactions: Wolflore

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think their hissyness probably puts some people off and they are a bit pongy. I must admit I am thinking of getting rid of my 2 Applegate Gophers. I like to be able to handle my snakes and they seem to loath being touched. My 2 Bulls will stay however and I would love a Black Pine.

·
Premium Member
16,503 Posts
its because of the splinters

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have kept Bull snakes in the past and I do like Northern Pines very much but they are right up there with FWCs for continually crapping up their tanks and I don't need the extra cleaning out at the moment.

In fact I just passed up a very nice FWC at a great price for the same reason.

Mark

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
See, I don't get this they stink business? I'm sorry but all s**t stinks :gasp:
I don't find pits to be any worse than any other snakes I have kept, and they still only do it once a week!

Hissing, yes they do have a reputation for it, but again none of mine do it and despite watching a few videos (of snakes, come on :whistling2:), I've not come across many in the flesh that do. Much more likely to get a tail buzz!
(I've only ever met Al's Lineaticollis, and these are a bit of a "special" case, but as you are so unlikely to ever own one, we can discount them for now :gasp:)

Inquisitive, medium sized, chunky, active, diurnal and very people tolerant snakes that rarely if ever bite. No harder to keep, but much more fun than a corn (and I have had a few corns myself so have absolutely nothing against them!)
Get one. Quickly, before you regret it!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I really like pituophis, and there are several species that I would love to have, but by the time I realised how awesome they are, I'd already run out of room.

Had I the room, I'd definitely have a Patternless Ghost Bullsnake, Southern Pine and a Black Pine.

I love their personalities. :2thumb:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree with Bobina; the reputation of pines, bulls and gophers precedes them and a lot of people view them as being bad tempered species just because they sometimes hiss a bit. They grow to a decent size, aren't picky feeders, and I think they look great. I've kept a lot of northern pines and bulls over the years and, while they can sometimes be impressively hissy (wheezy almost), if you surprise or startle them, I've never been bitten by one.

I got a pair of northerns from Pete Johnson last year, and they are doing great. One bad experience with them is that the female decided to eat a mouthful of sh*t a couple of weeks back and, when I picked her up, she regurgitated it all over the place...suffice to say, it almost made me retch! I had to wash her mouth out using the shower hose and a load of faeces came dribbling out into the bath. I think she accidentally slithered through it with her mouth open...anyway, she is fine. But, as snakes generally go, I don't consider them to be especially smelly.

I'd like to get some black pines and some Mexican ones too. Never kept gophers, they seem to be less popular than their cousins, at least in the UK. Popular in the States, I think.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
the ball python "craze" has killed off the interest to look beyond whats in the classifieds, and the classifieds are full of balls, but it says a lot for the ball that it can focus the attention of so many on such a narrow field, but this interest is not infinite, as u no doubt have noticed a large amount of ball collection sales recently, so this may not always be the case, and the underdog species may once again have their day.

don't lose hope for the species closest to ur heart, as long as u treasure them, keep them, then they are not lost to the hobby.

rgds
ed

·
Registered
707 Posts
the ball python "craze" has killed off the interest to look beyond whats in the classifieds, and the classifieds are full of balls, but it says a lot for the ball that it can focus the attention of so many on such a narrow field, but this interest is not finite, as u no doubt have noticed a large amount of ball collection sales recently, so this may not always be the case, and the underdog species may once again have their day.

don't lose hope for the species closest to ur heart, as long as u treasure them, keep them, then they are not lost to the hobby.

rgds
ed
Not finite, meaning it's infinite and the ball python 'craze' will never end? Or, is finite, meaning that other species will have their day? I'm a bit unclear on what you think will happen! ;)

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
fixed :)
Not finite, meaning it's infinite and the ball python 'craze' will never end? Or, is finite, meaning that other species will have their day? I'm a bit unclear on what you think will happen! ;)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.