Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

I have had my Desert Horned lizards for around a month or so and they are quality, they are super active and have great personalities.

My only query is with the white crusty stuff which is hanging out of their nostrils. Its there nearly all of the time and it looks like salt lol.

Can anybody shed any light as to what the cause of this is??

The only thing that springs to my mind is that its some sort of calcium discharge as i dust every few feeds. This didnt start til about a week after i got them (i cant see the pet shop dusting their food).

Any advice/ opinions appreciated,

Jim.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
it will probably be where they bury there heads under the sand, moisture from there noses will make the sand stick to them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it will probably be where they bury there heads under the sand, moisture from there noses will make the sand stick to them.
OH yes never thought of that, they spend every night under the sand the little tuckers.......cheers ANT : victory:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dunno if it applies to DHLs but our Iguanas get it sometimes because they sneeze the salt out. It could be "snalt" We find it on the side of their vivs all the time. Like I said though, I'm not sure if DHL's do this...

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Dunno if it applies to DHLs but our Iguanas get it sometimes because they sneeze the salt out. It could be "snalt" We find it on the side of their vivs all the time. Like I said though, I'm not sure if DHL's do this...
What he said!

It's most likely "snalt", you might want to try getting them better hydrated and see if there is any change?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Slightly off topic, but.....

I want some! They are sooooo adorable:flrt:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
you will find that most desert lizards expell salt through their noses its normal but urs sound like they are doing it excessivly.
what i do with mine is put a small bowl of fresh water in there viv at the cool end to raise the humidity just ever so slightly and gives them a drink and bath them every couple of weeks once a week during shedding, it gets rid of dust and mine now only have crusty noses maybe once every few days.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you will find that most desert lizards expell salt through their noses its normal but urs sound like they are doing it excessivly.
what i do with mine is put a small bowl of fresh water in there viv at the cool end to raise the humidity just ever so slightly and gives them a drink and bath them every couple of weeks once a week during shedding, it gets rid of dust and mine now only have crusty noses maybe once every few days.
Cheers for the replies......i give them fresh water every day and when i come home from work they have emptied it so i fill the water bowl up again.

I have been bathing them every few days just for 10 mins or so and they seem to like water more than my beardies,

thanx again everyone for getting back to me : victory:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts