Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a bearded dragon which is about 1 year old and whenever I get her out she sits on my lap for a few mins then she wants to get off again. Everywhere I read it said that they were supposed to sit quietly on your lap and love being petted. Please help! I would love for her to sit still for longer!

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Hello! I have a bearded dragon which is about 1 year old and whenever I get her out she sits on my lap for a few mins then she wants to get off again. Everywhere I read it said that they were supposed to sit quietly on your lap and love being petted. Please help! I would love for her to sit still for longer!
because she's healthy and active :)
each dragon is different, some sit still some don't.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
you might find it happens until old age when they dont want to run around or explore that much no more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone who replied. I will take your comments on board. Thank you!:2thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
First off they are not supposed to sit there, they are not supposed to do anything. They are still basically wild animals and they would prefer to roam the room and investigate everything than sit there and get petted. I really don't mean to be rude but if you would like an animal that will just sit there and won't run away when you pet it get a dog, or something slower like a tortoise or snail.
As Jebb says try placing it on your shoulder as my leos do seem to sit a little longer on my shoulder.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Like any young animal, they will be quite active until they start to mature. You will probably find that at about two years old they will start to slow down, especially if they are well fed and have no need to go on the "prowl". Our BD is three years old and will sit for hours. In fact we can put her on the window sill, in the sun, and she can be there for four or five hours watching the world go by without hardly moving, unless she wants to get herself into a little shady area.
I would go as far as to say BDs can be rather lazy. A bit like cats of the lizard world.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Like any young animal, they will be quite active until they start to mature. You will probably find that at about two years old they will start to slow down, especially if they are well fed and have no need to go on the "prowl". Our BD is three years old and will sit for hours. In fact we can put her on the window sill, in the sun, and she can be there for four or five hours watching the world go by without hardly moving, unless she wants to get herself into a little shady area.
I would go as far as to say BDs can be rather lazy. A bit like cats of the lizard world.

Yep, my boys are both just over 2 and they're the laziest animals I've ever seen! One of them has even started to put himself to bed at about 6pm because he decides that laying down for 12 hours is enough strenuous activity for the day!

That one will have a little wander round when I get him out but the other one is happy to act as a brooch if I put him on my chest. Just chills there eyeing up my chin!

Reactions: PinklySmooth

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
if you are that small and see many places to explore, wouldnt you? my partners beardie one moment sleeps on you next is bolting down the room haha

·
Registered
432 Posts
mine likes to go from my arm, to my shoulder, then when I sit back, which is what he clearly waits for, he attempts the back of chair/bed, wherever I am lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts