Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an adult male crestie who was always friendly enough even though he was a little bit skittish. He'd let me pick him off the glass in his viv an hold him but lately he's been ridiculously skittish, something that I attributed to possibly not handling him enough so the last fortnight or so I have been getting him out for a few minutes per day but he just seems to be getting worse.

Whereas before he would let me pick him up, now he immediately flees from my hand in his viv and he used to love me to put a treat on his lips (honey, fruit paste etc) now he just tries to bite my fingers. If my hands are anywhere near his face he opens his mouth to try and bite and has actually caught me a couple of times.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I've recently added some more plants to his viv so he's got a lot more climbing and hiding space but it just seems to have turned him evil! Help!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hiya , how long have you had him and when did you start handling? new items in the viv can unsettle them , they need time to get used to them . I would just leave him for a week be around the viv but dont try to touch him. then slowly move your hand nearer each evening , you need to be paitent with this :2thumb: then let him come to you or ease your fingers under his belly from the front of him and he should walk onto your hand. do this in the viv for a week first . He needs to build up his confidence with you again , dont worry it takes time but you will get there , he does not hate you he is just scarred at the moment . The smallest of things can freak cresties out :lol2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank Micky. I've had him about 10 months now so it's not as if he's new and still getting used to me.

I'll try leaving him alone again and starting from the beginning, hopefully that'll chill him out.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If he's around that age he could be reaching sexual maturity which can cause some aggression.

He may just be an angry little chap. Mine doesn't bite but after 6 months of having him, he still runs a mile when I try to pick him up.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
sounds like it will be the new things in his viv, have you moved anything in the room he is in around? that also could do it , mine used to never let me handle him the night before and the night he would shed .then would be great the night after , funny little things cresties :2thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts