Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two steppe runners housed together, one male one female both about 4 months old, and the female who usually spends more time hiding has become increasingly social and keeps making a chirping/clicking sound and opening her mouth this past few days. It almost looks like a hiccup. She's eating normally, hasn't gotten thinner, isn't aggressive, and still loves being handled, but I can't find anything about this behavior in their species. I have a video of her in action. Could this be a mating thing or one of their species' many quirks, or should I be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
I can't make out if she is vocalising or hiccuping.I have kept Lacertids for a long time now and I have never heard them vocalise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't make out if she is vocalising or hiccuping.I have kept Lacertids for a long time now and I have never heard them vocalise.
What's interesting is she's doing both. Some of the sounds are chirps and some are clicks, they seem to switch randomly. I made another video, the clicks are more prominent in the beginning and the chirps and both combined are more towards the end.

http://youtu.be/S4QrW6Mk6hM

·
Registered
189 Posts
She's forcing breath and squeaking as a result, you can see her gular fold extending and her eyes closing as she attempts to breathe/ swallow. Its a sign of something being stuck in her throat or a throat or respiratory infection, keep her warm and hydrated (via direct spraying and it should clear). If it doesn't within a few days then you may need antibiotics

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's forcing breath and squeaking as a result, you can see her gular fold extending and her eyes closing as she attempts to breathe/ swallow. Its a sign of something being stuck in her throat or a throat or respiratory infection, keep her warm and hydrated (via direct spraying and it should clear). If it doesn't within a few days then you may need antibiotics
Okay will do. How often should I spray her? She seems to want me to pet her chin more than normal, should I avoid doing that or could that help clear her throat? Should I keep feeding her like normal? Also what could have caused something to get stuck in her throat? If it's an infection could it spread to my other one? Sorry for all the questions, I'm getting worried about her now that it could be a health issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
If it's something stuck in the throat it could be food, substrate etc. if it's an infection I have treated Lacertids with antibiotics and a nebuliser. It's a laborious proces but can work.

Do you have any reptile vets nearby that you can get an assessment from ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's something stuck in the throat it could be food, substrate etc. if it's an infection I have treated Lacertids with antibiotics and a nebuliser. It's a laborious proces but can work.

Do you have any reptile vets nearby that you can get an assessment from ?
I do. I don't want to take any risks especially if it can spread. Should I just bring her in? If it's a RI, what usually causes them?

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
I am not sure. I have had it when I used bark chips and they got too wet. I now use sand or gravel. The lizards were continually gaping and their throats were grey not pink as in healthy animals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure. I have had it when I used bark chips and they got too wet. I now use sand or gravel. The lizards were continually gaping and their throats were grey not pink as in healthy animals.
Hmm, once she wakes up I'll try to get a look at her throat but her mouth hasn't been agape constantly. How urgent is an RI? The vet is all booked up today and I'm not sure if it's better to travel a distance and stress her out more or just wait a day, raise the temp and humidity like you said and hope things get better in the meantime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vet said it was a respiratory infection and prescribed antibiotics. I'm giving her the injections every other day, raised the temps by 10 degrees on each side, and am misting regularly to increase the humidity. I looked online and this was recommended for snakes. Is this a good idea for small lizards too? If so, should it be done the same number of times and at the same strength given her size? The vet said at this age the outcome is not looking great so I want to maximize survival chances as much as possible.

Guide to Home Treatment of Snake Respiratory Infection -  BambooZoo

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
That's interesting. I have not used the vapourub method. If you are *****istering antibiotics and keeping the temperature and humidity higher this should combat the problem. I would put it in s smaller vivarium or tub as it's easier to maintain higher humidity in there. Be careful not to overheat her though. When I treated mine there was moisture running down the sides of the tub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The male began to show symptoms of an RI so I started him on the antibiotics. Because I caught it early his symptoms began clearing up quickly and hers were very slowly fading, but I started them on Reptaid thid Monday and their condition began improving rapidly. Both of them have their appetite and energy back and the male's symptoms are mostly gone, only coming back after his stressful injections for a few hours, while her breathing looks and sounds a lot better overall.They haven't beaten this yet, but I'm doing everything I can to help them and it looks like they might survive. I'm taking them both to the vet this week and will hopefully hear good news from her. I have a quick question though, should I give them probiotics to counteract the baytril's effects on their natural flora?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts