Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Beardies will eat calci sand, and it clumps together, causing impaction in the stomach.

If its a young beardie, paper towels or newspaper are the best substrates. An older beardie can go on tiles, vinyl or play sand- which is much finer and doesn't clump

Hope this helps: victory:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
hi thanks for getting back to me yes he is about 18months old
we got told to use that sand from a pet shop
i will chance it
thanks so much for getting back to me
lynda
at 18 months sand will be fine. Argos sell kiddies play sand nice and cheap- but it comes slightly damp, so its best if you dry it out in the oven first to stop your viv getting too humid.

My beardie is on sand, and I have no problems :2thumb:

·
Registered
524 Posts
normal playsand will be fine.. calci sand is also bad as you dont know how much may of been eaten so there is no way of telling if ure beardie is getting enough or too much calcium..
alot of rep shops give calci sand away in their set ups.. personaly i think it should be stated very clearly the dangers of the stuff and shouldnt be given to any one starting a setup.. if some one is new to rep keeping and buys there rep setup etc and you find sand in it ure bound to think well a rep shop isnt going to give me something harmful..needs to stop!: victory:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
normal playsand will be fine.. calci sand is also bad as you dont know how much may of been eaten so there is no way of telling if ure beardie is getting enough or too much calcium..
alot of rep shops give calci sand away in their set ups.. personaly i think it should be stated very clearly the dangers of the stuff and shouldnt be given to any one starting a setup.. if some one is new to rep keeping and buys there rep setup etc and you find sand in it ure bound to think well a rep shop isnt going to give me something harmful..needs to stop!: victory:
i agree! when i bought my hatchling beardie, 6 weeks old they gave me calci sand and as i wasnt experienced i used it!! (this was before i found this site) he then got what i thought was impaction, so we took him back to the shop and got an adult:) who is now very happy with another beardie (not from that shop!!):D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.