Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all be prepared for some severe pics to follow. I have just rescued (or had to pay for) 2 collared lizards that were in serious need of RESCUEING...when the shop was asked to give them up becuz of their state the reply was...."wats the point, their gona die anyway!!!" When the shop was asked y they werent administering criticle care formula the reply was "I ent openin a new pot just for them!!!" (furious) I am soooo ****in angry now, have gave em a long warm bath to start re-hydrating em so will keep u updated on their progress.....pics will follow in a min

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
god it annoys me when shop owners mistreat reps just to save a few quid, thankfully the biggest rep shop i know locally looks after theres very well, but i still question some of the care given to reps in a shop only 15mins walk away :?

good for you Nat to rescuse them in their hour of need

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi

Now, before I say anything, please do not take this the wrong way. People who put themselves out to help an animal, in what ever way they can, get my support for thier actions.

However, I do wonder how many shops get away with mistreating animals, only to get a well intentioned person come along and do all the hard work in nursing , allowing the shop to go get more WC imports, thus starting the whole cycle again?

So, do we, myself included, help or hinder the cause by jumping in to help a shop offload a sick animal? to be honest, I am not sure !

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
purejurrasic said:
Hi

Now, before I say anything, please do not take this the wrong way. People who put themselves out to help an animal, in what ever way they can, get my support for thier actions.

However, I do wonder how many shops get away with mistreating animals, only to get a well intentioned person come along and do all the hard work in nursing , allowing the shop to go get more WC imports, thus starting the whole cycle again?

So, do we, myself included, help or hinder the cause by jumping in to help a shop offload a sick animal? to be honest, I am not sure !
Thats a very good point,and something most of us have probably done!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
ur right there purejurassic

by taking the animals ur supporting there business. and thats something i dont agree with, ur solving the problem short time for those individuals but by doing that how many more animals are u putting at risk by them continuing to keep them in business?

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Its a hard one.

I would hate to turn my back on a sick animal, not sure if I could, but at the same time would I be saying to the shop, thats fine, treat them however you want, and if no poor unsuspecting soul buys them before they get sick, I will take them off your hands and reward you with my hard earned cash?

Not sure, I am still out on this one.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i know its hard to turn ur back on a sick animal but think of the bigger picture outside of just that animal infront of you. if u do that they will only replace it with another, and another and another, boosting there profits where as theoreticaly and logically if you think about it, if u leave it. they wont buy another, they will lose it to illness, it will die and maybe they wont bother again as everytime an animal dies they lose profit margins. if this continues they will eventully come into problems and eventully shut. if eveyone did this there would be a hell of alot less bad reptile shops out there, and we are the ones who moan about the bad ones so much and are supposed to know better yet people still support there businesses by doing this kind of good samaritan quick fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are several pet shops in my town, only one of them has some reptiles in them. The last time I was there, they had leopard geckos. The geckos looked completely happy and healthy. Some pet shops do take care of reptiles, but most large chains are probably cutting back to save money.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
16-BIT said:
i know its hard to turn ur back on a sick animal but think of the bigger picture outside of just that animal infront of you. if u do that they will only replace it with another, and another and another, boosting there profits where as theoreticaly and logically if you think about it, if u leave it. they wont buy another, they will lose it to illness, it will die and maybe they wont bother again as everytime an animal dies they lose profit margins. if this continues they will eventully come into problems and eventully shut. if eveyone did this there would be a hell of alot less bad reptile shops out there, and we are the ones who moan about the bad ones so much and are supposed to know better yet people still support there businesses by doing this kind of good samaritan quick fix.

Totally agree with you, but I would find it hard to leave an animal that was being leave to die in a shop even if I did lose a money! :cry:

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right some of ur replies have gutted me...if u look in the picture section u will see that 2day I am getting involved trading standards, environmental health and also enlisting a solicitor to try claim back money for the poor animals and also cost of treatment so NO i wont be "starting the cycle again" AND i couldnt have left em to die

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
I some how knew my post would upset some one

Nat, please please dont think that I was targeting you with my comments.

Like I said i aplaud those who help animals.

I was simply asking myself and others a question. It was more angled towards the shop keepers point of view, ie: do they sometimes not bother cos they know someone will tale pity.

I still think I would have done the same thing as you, even with this question at the back of my mind.

I didnt see the other thread, but I will watch it now, and I wish you and 'your team' all the best it will be interesting to see what happens.

Once again, good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.