Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you suppose this snake keeping thing is so addictive exactly?

I was just thinking how most of us seem to have large, or rapidly growing snake collections... Why can't we stop at one or two like most people do with dogs?
The first thing I seem to do when I see a snake I like is think "Right, where could that fit in, have I got the spare cash etc etc", if I see an image of a snake I like that I've never seen before, it's straight onto google, "What is it, how big, what does it need, where can I get and how much" kinda thing.

You don't find many people like that with stuff like cats really, so why snakes?

lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if kept right aren't smelly, take up much room or need constant attention, or that's what i think, i have 2 snakes, 3 cats and 2 geckos, but it will rise i guarantee it

·
Registered
261 Posts
hmmm dunno,maybe because they differ alot in colour size,and temperment?dunno but im hooked!lool!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
its a good question. if you ask me snakes are easier then cats and dogs. i dont have to stand outside at 5am shouting of the snake to come in like i do with the cats :lol2:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Hmm not sure.... Most I have had at one time is four D: But I guess thats cause I still live at home XD

Saying that i had 13 mice and 12 hamsters all in my room at the same time before now XD
That was alot of cages on the floor I can tell you XD I guess its the same really >.<

You get one.... And then you see another that you just HAVE to have. I've seen ALOT of things I want when I leave home XD
Which hopefully shant be to far away now :D

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
they release pheremones into the air that make you want more snakes.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
they release pheremones into the air that make you want more snakes.
:hmm:I wonder -sidles up to Stephy- <.< May be right XD

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
May just have to persuade the mother that they brain wash us in to buying them :p The other parent already knows XD Every time we go to a reptile shop we almost end up with something <.< And we NEVER used to come out without something D:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Lol xD Yea he lost part of one when he turned up with a blonde phase trans pecos rat snake in each hand XD That money went down the drain when they bred, and then Lucifer tried to eat Morticia... And by tried I mean her head was gone by the time we got there >.<

Wonder how they brain wash us.... :hmm:Totally never looking another snake in the eyes xD

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Probably because they are fascinating animals and there is a huge variety in colours, patterns, etc. So the more you get into it and you grow fond of snakes, the more you will feel like adding other species / morphs to your collection. Also the more you study about them, the more you feel like learning the genetics, husbandry, etc.

In regards to other animals (as someone mentioned cats), for me it's a different type of relationship with them. My cats are not a hobbie or something I want to study, learn about, etc. My cats are my friends, my companion of all times, truly members of my family. My cats will wait for me to get home, will sit on my lap when they feel like, will be great companions by just sitting about, will sleep in my bed, will wake me up when they are hungry, etc.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Probably because they are fascinating animals and there is a huge variety in colours, patterns, etc. So the more you get into it and you grow fond of snakes, the more you will feel like adding other species / morphs to your collection. Also the more you study about them, the more you feel like learning the genetics, husbandry, etc.

In regards to other animals (as someone mentioned cats), for me it's a different type of relationship with them. My cats are not a hobbie or something I want to study, learn about, etc. My cats are my friends, my companion of all times, truly members of my family. My cats will wait for me to get home, will sit on my lap when they feel like, will be great companions by just sitting about, will sleep in my bed, will wake me up when they are hungry, etc.
And will shred helpless little creatures and leave them half eaten for you to step in? :p.... Unlike snakes who just eat helpless little creatures whole -whimpers-

Cats blind your pets when they escape, snakes escape and eat them whole :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
LOL tell me about it, I have had my corns (juveniles) just over a month now, my first ever snakes, and I am already thinking about getting a nice royal.

I am hoping I can resist my urges for 6-8 months or so, so I can establish my corns into nice yearlings. Then I I'll try to find a pretty looking established yearling royal that is a feeding well.

Thing is I have been checking the classified here a few times. Seen some nice ones, but not close enough for me to go and get one in a moment of weakness. If one pops up localish I will resist, I will :grin1:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I thought I would stop at my ball python then the hoggie came and then the boa! Then got two beardies and now prob getting two hatchling corns next week!! My friends are addicted to shopping for clothes/shoes, with me its anything reptilian and i want everything i see!! But hey u can be addicted to worse things eh!!?:smile:

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I talk to non reptile keepers, they always seem amazed that I have more than 1 snake and won't think twice on having more. If only they knew the way these creatures draw you in, then they wouldn't think it was strange to have multiple reptiles. My cousin has lizards and he started with 1 and in less than 2 years had 5 different lizards. I thought that was strange, then I got my first snake and got hooked just like my cousin.

If you have 10 cats people call you the batty cat woman/man and you have the RSPCA round taking them off you, but not with reptiles. Whats that all about?

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
People constantly trying to sell animals to a small group of people ? I would almost guarantee that people who use forums etc will have bigger collections than those that dont because we are bombarded with images of peoples latest hatchlings or cast offs and will always spot those that we like and want.

Cost... animals are getting cheaper and cheaper as more and more hobbiests breed them.

We convince ourselves we have more room than we actually have.

Shows... We travel many miles to shows both here and in Europe and would consider it a waste of time and money going unless something was bought.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Reptiles in a way are so much easier to keep than normal pets. I mean i have a cat myself. And am always petting him, feeding him. I'm always happy to do so. But snakes.. They're so much easier to keep i guess. They feed once every 5 or so days which of course is a bonus. They come in so many different ways and i guess we get more because we want more of the different varients.. They're all so interesting it's addictive!

I agree with the if we go to shows we convince ourselves its a wasted journey if we dont buy anything. Hence the reason the last 2 shows i went to i bought um.. first 2 reptiles. then 5 reptiles :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts