Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mmmkay, as some may know, Mr Happy's been off his food for a while. Luckily he ate last week, which was quite a relief, but he's stopped striking! Just wondering if there's any way to get him to start doing it again? I am happy that he's eating again though.....just want him to strike! :?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Some do that... you can try provoking them by tapping them on the nose with the mouse. A few of mine stopped striking a few months ago and have started doing it again now so just wait really.. if they don't its not a concern as long as theyre feeding.

·
Registered
597 Posts
its not really a problem if he's not striking just as long as he is eating, i have a red tail that scares the crap out of me when eating because he is so aggressive (blood splatter everywhere :? ) then i have a red tail girl who is the sweetest snake even with her food, she makes friends before she eats :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Its stopped striking probably because its realized that its food is not going to run away from it anymore.... Some snakes become lazy, they know their food is already dead so why should they have to work for it?? After all, we have taking the bother out of hunting and killing it for them, so as far as they are concerned, its a nice easy meal... Just my opinion anyhow... Want it to strike, try using a live one (not actually recommended) or use tongs and wiggle it...
Steve

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already use tongs and twitch. He hasn't been eating properly. I went to the shop today, they said if he doesn't eat on his next feed, I've to take him in. They said if they find anything wrong with him, other than being a fussy eater, they'll keep him there til he's eating properly again....which is cool, but now I feel like an appaling owner! If I have to get some one else to sort out a feed problem, I must be rubbish! I know I've followed all good advise given to me, his viv and temps are all set right etc.........but I feel reet poo now! :cry:

Thanks for your help anyways guys. :cry:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ms.P said:
I already use tongs and twitch. He hasn't been eating properly. I went to the shop today, they said if he doesn't eat on his next feed, I've to take him in. They said if they find anything wrong with him, other than being a fussy eater, they'll keep him there til he's eating properly again....which is cool, but now I feel like an appaling owner! If I have to get some one else to sort out a feed problem, I must be rubbish! I know I've followed all good advise given to me, his viv and temps are all set right etc.........but I feel reet poo now! :cry:

Thanks for your help anyways guys. :cry:
what wrong? is he not eating? or is he eating but just not striking? if he is eating but just not striking there is nothing wrong with him, hes just lazy. which is nothing to be concerned about. if thats the case he is fine.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry,I wasn't very clear. about a month ago I moved him upto 2 pinks. On that feed he didn't strike, so i left him in the feeding tub with them and he eventually ate them. then he didn't eat for 3 weeks. Then last week he ate one pink, again didn't strike, but left it in with him and eventually ate it. last night he struck really hard at the pink, started eating it, then spat it out. I left it in with him again, but he didn't eat it. I thought maybe because he'd eaten last week, he'd be ok this week, and just wanted to find out if he wasn't striking for a reason. But because he didnt eat last night, I'm all worried. More so because he's my first snakey. Hope that's a bit clearer :?

Thanks again.x

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup, apparently my setup's correct! His warm end is 26 degrees c. I'm using kitchen roll for substrate, got 2 hides( one bark and one coconut to help with shedding), one on the warm end, one on the cool. His heat mat cover's one third of the floor space, and is placed on the outside underneath his viv. His water(changed daily) is on his cool end. He's a Diones Ratsnake, 6 months old. I've had him for 3 months now. He's shed twice with me, both times were perfect. he also ate during his shedding periods. He is due to shed again now, but hasn't yet gone blue, or gone a darker colour.
I wondered if it was because he's constipated. He usually defecates the day after feeding, however last week it took him a few days. I gave him a luke warm bath to relax his muscles, which seemed to help. He's still as active as usual and a treasure to handle.
It's good that the shop are kind enough to check on this for me (they could could just send me to a vet to rack up bills), but I want to learn and get more snakes. So just kinda feels like I've fallen at the first hurdle.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Ball Pythons are iffy that way, but if it has been eating, I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet... I'd be more cautious of the store asking you to leave it there so they can "fix it"... You said your warm end is 26C, might want to increase that to at least 30C and cooler end round 24C. It sound like he might be getting ready to shed even though you haven't noticed it yet too or could be instinctively settling in for winter... Keep trying and don't feel bad just yet....
Steve

·
Registered
257 Posts
beckys_dad98 said:
Ball Pythons are iffy that way, but if it has been eating, I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet... I'd be more cautious of the store asking you to leave it there so they can "fix it"... You said your warm end is 26C, might want to increase that to at least 30C and cooler end round 24C. It sound like he might be getting ready to shed even though you haven't noticed it yet too or could be instinctively settling in for winter... Keep trying and don't feel bad just yet....
Steve
is it not a rat snake? and if it was a ball python i would keep the temps. at 32C-34C / 27C-29C, 24C is too cold which could make them prone to a RI

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Diones are an Asian species so probably wouldn't want the temps too high, but as it's a little one it would hurt to keep it a bit warmer i reckon, up to 28c or 29c at the warm end, as long as the cool end stays cool - about 23c or so.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, I upped his temp by 2 degrees, he went straight to the warm end when i did it (put the central heating up!) Finger's crossed it's just a mix between him being a bit chilly, and due to shed.
Thanks for all the help(again). I'm just extra worried what with him being my first baby!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no worries! :D
He's been pretty active and happy today. Fingers crossed he eats next week!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts