Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
my brothers alergic to dog hair and i really want a dog but i also want to do agilaty with it and my mum wants it to be collie to pointer size.
if u know any i would apretate it.
thnx

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The only dogs i know of that dont moult (wich wouldnt guarantee he wouldnt be allergic) are poodles, shihtzus, lhasa apso's, sure theres a couple more but cant think.
Best bet would be to settle on a breed and visit a few with your brother, to make sure he doesnt react : victory:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Standard poodle make good agility dogs (not as good as collies obviously, lol) and for minis either a poddle or a bichon frise x yorkie ... Ollie was that cross and he was my first agility dog ... he was ace :2thumb:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Are you sure it's the dog hair they're allergic to? Most people are allergic to the dander and saliva, and if that's the case, there is no dog that will be any good for an allergy sufferer.

There is a product you can use called Petal Cleanse though:
Allergy Preventatives - Bio-Life International Ltd=

As for dogs who moult less, greyhounds dont moult much (apart from when they're brought in from the kennels into a warm home). Edit: probably not collie to pointer sized, but they do curl up small!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
get rid of your brother dogs are much more fun lol,, ive no idea of any that would be good for an allergy sufferer

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The only dogs i know of that dont moult (wich wouldnt guarantee he wouldnt be allergic) are poodles, shihtzus, lhasa apso's, sure theres a couple more but cant think.
Best bet would be to settle on a breed and visit a few with your brother, to make sure he doesnt react : victory:
bichon Frise, Yorkshire terrier :2thumb:

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
Are you sure it's the dog hair they're allergic to? Most people are allergic to the dander and saliva, and if that's the case, there is no dog that will be any good for an allergy sufferer.

There is a product you can use called Petal Cleanse though:
Allergy Preventatives - Bio-Life International Ltd=

As for dogs who moult less, greyhounds dont moult much (apart from when they're brought in from the kennels into a warm home). Edit: probably not collie to pointer sized, but they do curl up small!
very good point their lisa :2thumb:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would have to say the miniature Schnauzer. They don't moult and are eager to learn so are excellent to train. I know that I am probably biased as I chose this breed for my first dog, they have the most wonderful personality, real character. Whilst they are not as big as a pointer or collie they are extremely robust for a miniature. Good luck with your choice. ooooh and don't forget the pics when you have your new little family member.. :2thumb:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I think it would be wise to see if you can find a breeder who will let you visit a few times and meet their animals (although some breeders wont be happy with that due to infection risks) before you commit to buying/rescuing one.

It would be awful to bring a puppy home and then find out it is the dander/saliva he's allergic to, and to put the pup through another move when you have to rehome it.: victory:

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
i would go for a poodle. they are brilliant dogs. or if you dont want a pure bred go for a labradoodle or daldoodle etc.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i would go for a poodle. they are brilliant dogs. or if you dont want a pure bred go for a labradoodle or daldoodle etc.

last two are not guaranteed to be non shedding

·
Registered
604 Posts
Labradoodle (lab x poodle) they are very clever dogs (used reguarly as gundogs in our area), dont moult and are super cute! They can in 3 diffrent sizes too from small to standard poodle size!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Depends as iv seen allergy sufferers have the last 2 and they havent shed.

the "non shedding" gene isnt always passed on, Ive seen a fair few (rescue) and tbh only a handfull have been non shedding

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have 2 Labradoodles - one moults and the other does not. The moulting one is Lab x Poodle, the other is 3/4 Poodle - the more Poodle the less chance of shedding, but it can not be guaranteed.

I also have a Mini Schnnauzer - if you want something bigger look at standard or Giant Schnauzers, they are very adaptable and are eager to please.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts