Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if that could be a ‘thing’ to get people that hate snakes to at least accept them.

Years ago I was breeding snakes. Mainly Royal Pythons and DWA snakes for 10+ years.

I got rid of my collection when I met the wife. Now that I convinced her that I can have one and showed her some potential Boa morphs, she agrees for me to have one but she doesn’t want anything to do with it.

Now I showed her a rescue one (normal) and she completely switched. Said that this looks like a normal snake and she wouldn’t mind holding it.

That made me think.How many people find snake freaky because of the weird morph colours. She said she didn’t even know she’d potentially find a normal looking snake ok, it only just occurred to her.

I remember my ex HATED my eyelash vipers but didn’t mind a rattlesnake and gaboon viper I had so I wonder if that is a potential pattern. Same ex hated my P. Metallica Ts. and didn’t mind the Red Knee (which is a lot of times what you see in movies)

Mmmm. 🤔

·
Registered
169 Posts
thats a curious one. perhaps its down to something a bit more instinctive, given that lots morphs are geared around brighter or more contrasting colours and patterns. the majority of people would be wary of a brightly coloured creature thanks to the danger response. so maybe for some people the dislike is rooted in a danger reaction, at which point the naturally muted or dull species would seem less threatening. if you dont get the immediate fear response then it would be easier for curiosity to outweigh the fear.
if the other half is up for it i would be inclined to look through a few species and morphs and see how far that goes. if nothing else its a good way to keep the conversation going in a positive manner and its never a bad thing to get a better understanding of peoples fears.

i have always wondered what aspect it is that turns people off creatures. i always struggle with spiders. tiny ones, like jumping spiders, dont scare me at all and big ones dont worry me too much either. the mid sized ones though, they wig me out. to the point that i couldnt even touch a picture of them when i was a kid. when i see a house spider skitter across the wall i tense up despite myself. after going over and over it i figured it was the sudden movement combined with the small body that sets me off, they seem to vanish as they move and are unpredictable. putting the time in to figuring out why they got to me has helped me a lot with making peace with their presence.
before i got my snakes i had a sit down with my younger brother. he doesnt live with us these days but he has always had a genuine and dramatic phobia of snakes. to the point of scaring him with a snake book when we were kids (yeah i know its mean, but kids are like that) and when i surprised him with pictures he would freeze up. he couldnt be in the room if they were on tv either. it was a genuine fear. so when i decided i really wanted to get snakes i sat down and talked as i didnt want him to stop coming around. he still doesnt like them but these days he will be in the room with them provided they are in the vivs. he will even take a closer look. i just promised never to have them out when he is around, and if they have to be then the door would be shut, and they dont get fed when he is here. just having those boundaries set in a calm way has done a lot for putting him at ease with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts