Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have tried the online advice already, for veg feeding and haven't seen anything about the climbing/jumping accessories, so looking for advice if possible.

I have a rescue bearded dragon I adopted him from a charity, I have had for 3 weeks. He was thin at 215gm when they got him in November, 260gm when he left them 3 weeks ago. Today he is measuring 16.5 inches and weighing in at 291gm. They didn't know his age or have any background information on him as his owner had unfortunately died. He had been housed with another male dragon so is missing some digits and has a tail scar.

He is doing well, eating, growing and well. I am feeding him a few times a day, assuming he is a juvenile? I'm wondering if he is possibly 8 to 12 months old? He only takes hand fed food. I'm putting fresh salad in twice daily, he won't touch it. The charity/I don't think he has ever had any. I've tried all differnt types of reptile friendly fruit and veg, feeding it alongside waxworms, worms in his salad bowl, hand fed, he won't eat it. Any ideas?

He is in a 4x2x2ft vivarium with a thermogradient, digital thermometers, reptile sand, (I know some people don't like that as a substrate but I'm happy with it) branch, log, stone, hammocks, etc.He loves digging, climbing and hangs on everything, even the plants. Today he jumped from his hammock (8 inches jump) and decided to hang from the UVB tube mounted at the top of the tank. He was quiite happy, looking around, obviously I took him down, as it is dangerous for him. Do they really climb that much? Is there a good, safe climbing tank accessory anyone can recommend?
Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hi

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have tried the online advice already, for veg feeding and haven't seen anything about the climbing/jumping accessories, so looking for advice if possible.

I have a rescue bearded dragon I adopted him from a charity, I have had for 3 weeks. He was thin at 215gm when they got him in November, 260gm when he left them 3 weeks ago. Today he is measuring 16.5 inches and weighing in at 291gm. They didn't know his age or have any background information on him as his owner had unfortunately died. He had been housed with another male dragon so is missing some digits and has a tail scar.

He is doing well, eating, growing and well. I am feeding him a few times a day, assuming he is a juvenile? I'm wondering if he is possibly 8 to 12 months old? He only takes hand fed food. I'm putting fresh salad in twice daily, he won't touch it. The charity/I don't think he has ever had any. I've tried all differnt types of reptile friendly fruit and veg, feeding it alongside waxworms, worms in his salad bowl, hand fed, he won't eat it. Any ideas?

He is in a 4x2x2ft vivarium with a thermogradient, digital thermometers, reptile sand, (I know some people don't like that as a substrate but I'm happy with it) branch, log, stone, hammocks, etc.He loves digging, climbing and hangs on everything, even the plants. Today he jumped from his hammock (8 inches jump) and decided to hang from the UVB tube mounted at the top of the tank. He was quiite happy, looking around, obviously I took him down, as it is dangerous for him. Do they really climb that much? Is there a good, safe climbing tank accessory anyone can recommend?
Thank you for reading.
Hi, just for interest`s sake can you give details about the temps and humidity and put a photo up of the whole enclosure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:whistle:
Hi, just for interest`s sake can you give details about the temps and humidity and put a photo up of the whole enclosure?

Screenshot_20210222-060806_WhatsApp.jpg
20210217_165937.jpg

Screenshot_20210128-102112_WhatsApp.jpg
20210219_145247.jpg

Hi
Temp is 37 and 26 on digital probes, controlled on a thermostat. Overnight 22, with a ceramic heat bulb and thermostat. Humidity sits around 32 but rises up a bit when damp salad is put in or Dundee is misted.

The third picture is before he moved in. I'm still waiting after 3 weeeks, on a larger hide being delivered for the cool side, as he was larger than I expected as the charity had said he fits in your hand, and the Exo one is too snug, although he does like to climb on it, the new one is meant to be here today though, hopefully!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The basking spot should be nearer to 45. There is a Sticky at the top of this section with lot of good useful information - well worth a read.
Thank you very much, I'll have a read, there is a lot of conflicted information available about the optimal temperatures online.

I was also wary to put it up as getting a reading on the basking spot is quite difficult, I wouldn't like to be too high and I didn't want the cool end to be too hot as it is an accurate read just now on ground level at 26, so I was worried it would rise too high.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thank you very much, I'll have a read, there is a lot of conflicted information available about the optimal temperatures online.

I was also wary to put it up as getting a reading on the basking spot is quite difficult, I wouldn't like to be too high and I didn't want the cool end to be too hot as it is an accurate read just now on ground level at 26, so I was worried it would rise too high.

Hi again, the CHE is ok for raising the ambient (air) temps but not at all effective as a basking bulb because it directs the heat all around rather than downwards, much better are par 30 or par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs, these can be fitted with a dimmer switch, or obviously you can raise/lower the bulb or basking object, they are cheap to buy (try ebay). The probes cannot measure surface temps, they only read air, you need an IR Temp-gun for the basking surface, again, not expensive but very accurate (ebay again).
You basically need to know 2 temps during the day; the lowest ambient @ approx. 21c then the surface temp of the basking object @ between approx. 38 to 45c (make the object large enough so there`s a range of surface temps the animal can choose from).
The humidity needs to range between approx. 30 to 60% or so, the lower figure will be around the basking area, the higher in the hides/burrows, nighttime I personally would not go below approx. 19c even though they can tolerate less, there`s no need unless the animal is brumating.
For climbing you can use stout, firmly fixed branches/other..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi again, the CHE is ok for raising the ambient (air) temps but not at all effective as a basking bulb because it directs the heat all around rather than downwards, much better are par 30 or par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs, these can be fitted with a dimmer switch, or obviously you can raise/lower the bulb or basking object, they are cheap to buy (try ebay). The probes cannot measure surface temps, they only read air, you need an IR Temp-gun for the basking surface, again, not expensive but very accurate (ebay again).
You basically need to know 2 temps during the day; the lowest ambient @ approx. 21c then the surface temp of the basking object @ between approx. 38 to 45c (make the object large enough so there`s a range of surface temps the animal can choose from).
The humidity needs to range between approx. 30 to 60% or so, the lower figure will be around the basking area, the higher in the hides/burrows, nighttime I personally would not go below approx. 19c even though they can tolerate less, there`s no need unless the animal is brumating.
For climbing you can use stout, firmly fixed branches/other..
Hi

Thank you very much. Sorry, I don't think my picture is very clear. Daytime, he has a T5 Zone 3 12% UV with a reflector, covering 2/3 of the tank and a 100w basking bulb on a Microclimate dimmer thermostat at his basking spot. The ceramic bulb is for overnight and is on a Microclimate pulse thermostat to maintain the overnight temp. The digital temp meters also have hygrometers incorporated.

I'll order the temp gun now, as that would be a much better idea than just the probes. Thank you for the links.

In your experience what age would you think that he may be at 16.5 inches and 291gm? The various online resources put that somewhere 6 to 12+ months, which is a wide spectrum. Because I have no history on him, it's hard to tell and I know his age influences his feeding regime.

Upon reading the advice here, I have upped his daytime temps and I did take out his silk plants, much to his disgust!

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hi

Thank you very much. Sorry, I don't think my picture is very clear. Daytime, he has a T5 Zone 3 12% UV with a reflector, covering 2/3 of the tank and a 100w basking bulb on a Microclimate dimmer thermostat at his basking spot. The ceramic bulb is for overnight and is on a Microclimate pulse thermostat to maintain the overnight temp. The digital temp meters also have hygrometers incorporated.

I'll order the temp gun now, as that would be a much better idea than just the probes. Thank you for the links.

In your experience what age would you think that he may be at 16.5 inches and 291gm? The various online resources put that somewhere 6 to 12+ months, which is a wide spectrum. Because I have no history on him, it's hard to tell and I know his age influences his feeding regime.

Upon reading the advice here, I have upped his daytime temps and I did take out his silk plants, much to his disgust!

Thank you for your help.
There is no way to gauge the age because we have no idea what the conditions were the animal was kept in previously, I can say that at that size it`s likely to be sexually mature and if female will require suitable nesting at all times. Which temps have you raised?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no way to gauge the age because we have no idea what the conditions were the animal was kept in previously, I can say that at that size it`s likely to be sexually mature and if female will require suitable nesting at all times. Which temps have you raised?
Hi
I raised the basking bulb thermostat to 39, when the I/R temp reader arrives and I can really accurately check the surface temp (now I know the probes are only air temp and even if lying in the basking area may not be fully accurate for surface temp) I can raise it another few degrees, if required to reach the 38 to 45 degree range required over the basking area, when it is I/R temp checked, he has a stone bridge and a hammock in the basking area so has different basking areas/basking temps available currently and does move between them.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your help and advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts