Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have just got another Crestie over the weekend, and we are hoping to move her in with one of our other geckos (Elmo - also a female) in a few weeks time.

The new gecko is quite a lot bigger than our original one, and we are guessing quite a bit older. Although we haven't had her for very long, she seems very tame and non aggressive. We had no trouble spoon feeding her, and when introduced to the other geckos at playtime, she seemed pretty friendly.

I was hoping we could get some peoples opinions as to whether she might be a danger to our smaller one if they lived together based on their size difference.

Here is a pic showing them together, please let us know what you think?

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
you need to quarenteen for at least 3 months, soooo by then she owudl of grown...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you need to quarenteen for at least 3 months, soooo by then she owudl of grown...

Agree with that!
You need to put the new one in quarantine....
I usally do it for about 2 months or so. but always quarantine your new animals!

By that time the new one will be big enough to put them together.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Debt Repair eBooks Learn How to Banish the debt. Build the wealth with our ebooks. Transforming Debt into Wealth with our eBooks Wait! Don't make another payment until you read our ebooks! Hills Gold |ransforming Debt into Wealth|debt|get out of debt
are you gonna stop spaming peoples threads??

anyway matt&steph i agree you need to quarentine for a few months and then elmo might be a bit bigger, but anyway they are georgeous!! i love them!!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
i would! but the post has dissapeared:? lol looks like reporting it worked anyway:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone,

At the moment she is in a smaller quarentine tank, as we havent been keeping cresties very long, I usually go by what it says in the Crested Gecko book, so we plan to quarentine for 6 -8 weeks, not long enough for elmo to reach a comparable size. We got her from a private seller and she lived on her own rather than in a group and seemed very well cared for, so i think that should be long enough. Do you think they will compete for food? I am tempted to feed our smallest separatly for a while. Also how long does it take for cresties to reach their full size?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
i think if you have 2 then they will compete for food, they arent really going to go one for you one for me if you know what i mean lol, i think feeding the little one seperately is a good idea:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, yeah, i dont think they'll share! Also, we only got the new one on Monday, so we dont have a name for her yet! any ideas anyone :hmm:Her crests are awesome, she looks really spikey but of course she's very soft and pretty chilled out!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
tilly

i cant think lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
lol, yeah, i dont think they'll share! Also, we only got the new one on Monday, so we dont have a name for her yet! any ideas anyone :hmm:Her crests are awesome, she looks really spikey but of course she's very soft and pretty chilled out!
i think elmo is a pretty sweet name, or dot for a dalmation?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hehe, Elmo is what our little female is called, we got her before we knew what sex she was and elmo is a good name for both! Thanks for the name ideas, we'll try to settle on one soon, I feel a bit mean calling her 'the new gecko'

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
i took my smaller female out of the larger females tank they shared after quarentine..

when i took the smaller female out she grew massivley... out on so much weight.. so maybe the larger one wasnt allowing her to eat im really not sure.. or it could have been coincidence

so personally id keep them apart til they reach comparable size.. but thats just personal feelings

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd like to, but I dont have enough room for another viv, as I think it could be another 12 months before Elmo is a big as the ne big momma! the tank she is in right now is too small for her, but seeing as its just temporary for a few weeks she should be ok. My other alternative is to keep her in my my young male, they have just enough room but i am hesiatant to breed her so soon as i dont really know her character or behaviour yet, making problems harder to identify. She seems friendly enough and our little one really needs the company, she spends most of her time watching our other geckos when she can see them! bless!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts