Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well due to my pending conservatory build the play shed in the back corner of my garden will not be ready for my Leopards this year. :gasp:

They are way too big for their table now, they'd simply just stroll out!

I've got a plan hatching in my head but unsure if I've compleatley lost my marbles.....

My understairs cupboard is pretty much empty. It is accessed by a hole in my lounge wall with a door that just pulls off. Imagine a loft hatch but on a wall if you are have trouble!

I'm thinking about doing up the inside of the cupboard for them, putting in a uv, lighting, basking area. Obviously the door would be left off! The door is raised so they wouldn't be able to climb out.

Oh the cupboard floor area measures 6ft x 3.5ft and my Leopards are now 7" and 5.5".

I know it's probably not ideal and I could just get a bigger table but I've no where to put it this year now the builders are going to tramping though my house. :bash:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
if its an enclosed space it should be much easier and possibly cheaper to keep the heat in, I think its a very good idea and should work well, when my old jack russel had pups where we lived the airing cupboard and tank was in the kitchen and had a cupboard underneath we simply took the door off and Bonnie and her babies were snug and warm from the tank above.

·
Banned
483 Posts
I personally would not do this. There is no natural light access at all and leos have a high need for light. Even though they do not get uvb through windows etc they still use the natural rising of the sun as part of their day. To be honest I would prefer to see them in a viv of these dimensions and that is saying something. This is far too small an area for leos of 7" in the first place without the lack of light. I know it is ideal for pups and even as a hide for a tortoise or other animal overnight but as a permanent winter arrangement I would say a disaster waiting to happen. I would feel cruel doing this myself.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
i had my leos in an understairs area for four months a few winters back.i had no choice as i moved house and was pregnant and unable to get there shed ready. i found that it was easier to shorten their photoperiod but to offer as much light as possible when it was "daylight". i used an MVB lamp and also some tubes to increase the lux. i dropped the night time temps a little and they naturaly slowed down and ate less and just chilled out. i am NOT saying that this is something to be done lightly but if you would like more info please feel free to PM me. for one winter, it wont do them any harm and is probably kinder to them that keeping them at full lux and heat so they are super active.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
why would there be no natural light? with the door off and assuming its a room with windows then the room would allow daylight, it certainly wouldn't be pitch black. What about animals kept inside in say zoos, the only light they get is artificial, most reptile houses I've been in including the good ones such as Chester etc are all artificial I've not been to many where they get natural daylight.

·
Banned
483 Posts
why would there be no natural light? with the door off and assuming its a room with windows then the room would allow daylight, it certainly wouldn't be pitch black. What about animals kept inside in say zoos, the only light they get is artificial, most reptile houses I've been in including the good ones such as Chester etc are all artificial I've not been to many where they get natural daylight.
Exactly and if you did a search into the 'turnover' of these animals it is rare you will see the same ones year after year unfortunately :(It's the OPs choice but not something I would do to my animals.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There would be quite a lot of natural light. The opening is in the lounge directly opposite the window.

I'm not entirely convinced by the plan. Just looking at options and exploring the opinions of others.

I'm not one to get all funny just because someone doesn't like my idea. I post on these forums to get advice and appreciate it from all angles.

My other option is to build an enclosure in my bedroom. I have a huge loft conversion with a lounge area, bedroom and ensuite. There is no reason why I couldn't give up my lounge area for the winter and build a temp floor level enclosure. However there wouldn't be much light up there either.

The conservatory would be finished by Christmas so where ever they go it would only need to be till then.

You never know, we may get a heatwave in October/November.....who can tell these days!:lol2:

Thanks again for all the advice and ideas : victory:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts