Reptile Forums banner

wont eat

874 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  liam peel 
#1 ·
Right i have an amel corn snake, shed twice but has never eaten a meal on it's on i have always had to force feed it and i have grown pretty bored of having to do so, is there anything i can do to make it eat by itself?

#2 ·
Right i have an amel corn snake, shed twice but has never eaten a meal on it's on i have always had to force feed it and i have grown pretty bored of having to do so, is there anything i can do to make it eat by itself?

:gasp:

How long have you had it for? How old is it? What are your temps and set up etc like??

did you breed it yourself? Was it from a breeder? If so did it come with feeding records?

More info will be needed more than you are bored of force feeding it before someone can offer advice. What other methods of feeding have you tried?

#5 ·
:gasp:

How long have you had it for? How old is it? What are your temps and set up etc like??

did you breed it yourself? Was it from a breeder? If so did it come with feeding records?

More info will be needed more than you are bored of force feeding it before someone can offer advice. What other methods of feeding have you tried?
I would say i have had it for about 5 weeks now, i got it of a breeder he told me that it hadn't aten but as i knew how to force feed it i siad it is no problem. unsure about the age but it is an 2011 so not old at all, i hav 2 other snakes on the same setup with the exact same temps and they are doing fine i even tried moving my snakes around to see ifthat would change. i hav tried braining the food,warming it up slightly i also heard about taking it for a car ride for 10 minutes before i feed i even tried that, i am just wondering how long i would have to contiue before she gets her meal for herself.

#3 ·
You are bored of feeding it and yet on your other thread you ask about power feeding a snake:gasp: The one that is eating leave it eat in its own time and this one, if it needs help then just get on with it, if you have animals then its your job to make sure it is healthy, if you are bored of it then maybe give it to someone who will care about it

Reactions: Tedster and Brett
#4 ·
I just answered the power feeding one too. I do hope its a case of interwebz troll and not someone being serious. :bash:

Reactions: Orangest77
#7 ·
try putting her in a tub thats very small during feeding, kinda like a confind space. There should be little room for movement. Pop the snake in with the feed and leave it. This way the snake has nothing to do etc but be constantly touching/sensing the feed.

I was told this by a breeder and it helped me out alot.

#12 ·
try putting her in a tub thats very small during feeding, kinda like a confind space. There should be little room for movement. Pop the snake in with the feed and leave it. This way the snake has nothing to do etc but be constantly touching/sensing the feed.

I was told this by a breeder and it helped me out alot.
Cheers feeding day is today so i will try that method today.

#9 ·
So you took on a non feeder, but your bored of trying to get her to eat....
This place never ceases to amaze me.

Right why are you force feeding ? have you tried assist feeding ? how often are you trying to feed her ?
5 weeks is not enough time to then start force feeding something, have you tried scenting the pinkie ? Tried putting her into a small tub ?
Do you have pictures of your set up ? Is she kept on her own ?
Sorry for all the questions.

In answer to question some snakes never start taking food on their own, are you prepared for that ? if not personally i would look at maybe passing her on to someone who is or is experienced with non feeders.

#14 ·
So you took on a non feeder, but your bored of trying to get her to eat....
This place never ceases to amaze me.

Right why are you force feeding ? have you tried assist feeding ? how often are you trying to feed her ?
5 weeks is not enough time to then start force feeding something, have you tried scenting the pinkie ? Tried putting her into a small tub ?
Do you have pictures of your set up ? Is she kept on her own ?
Sorry for all the questions.

In answer to question some snakes never start taking food on their own, are you prepared for that ? if not personally i would look at maybe passing her on to someone who is or is experienced with non feeders.
I have to force feed as she will not take her own food, i have tried assist feeding but she just wants nothing to do with it, i feed her once every week, i have only had her for five weeks but the lad i baught it off had it for longer and was not able to feed her either, i have tried scenting the pinky put her in a dixie cup she is kept on her own all without sucsess, like i said i will continue to force feed if i have to but i would just prefer to not have to.

#10 ·
Boiled pinkies worked a treat for my fussy feeders, all you need to do is boil the kettle, pour the boiling water into a mug, and then pop the pinkies in for about a minute until they're white (I wouldn't pour the water onto the pinkies or they might burst!) and then just pop them in with your hatchlings while they're still nice and hot.

#13 ·
You said - lightly warming. I would warm it until it feels pretty hot to the touch. Offer the pinky. If it doesn't take it, leave it in over night and cover the setup with a towel/similar.

#17 ·
What temperature are you keeping it at?

Personally I woudn't have resorted to force feeding it yet either, there are a lot more things you can try before that. Have you tryed scenting for instance - with other rodent/lizard/birds/fish there are so many things now. I would also have live fed before assisting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.