Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, noticed a neighbour of mine had some huge chunks of wood outside there house from a tree they have cut down... I dont really know them so i didnt ask them about it to be honest.

Got it to the back garden, it was riddled with woodlice, i have put about 10 kettle loads of boiling water over it... and will continue to do so over th next week or so... Possibly using bleach solutions too.

Just wondered before i continue is it going to be ok for my VIVARIUM?

Its a massive peice of a tree so i will be cutting it down. The picture with the air pump is to show its size. the air pump is 12" long.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
what u need to do is fill ur bath tub up wiv boiling water and add 1-2 cups of blech leave the wood in to soak for about 12 hours turning every so often
then clean the bath and fill it up with hot water again but no bleach using gloves scrub the wood with a nail scrubber or alike
then leave the wood to dry out fully in cupboard or something i leave mine for about 2 weeks
if it doesnt dry out fully it will mould in the viv
hope this helps
manda xx

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm i have one of those new brown bins for garden waste i could probably use (more hygenic than a normal bin lol) If it doesn't fit i could just cut it to size. Any easy ways to get HOT water to the bin... rather than using a kettle :| cus that wud take AGES and by the time its filled up be cold.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bbewekim said:
Hmmm i have one of those new brown bins for garden waste i could probably use (more hygenic than a normal bin lol) If it doesn't fit i could just cut it to size. Any easy ways to get HOT water to the bin... rather than using a kettle :| cus that wud take AGES and by the time its filled up be cold.
Just to update, i placed the wood in the bin this morning, full to the top of normal water then a kettle load of boiling water. Will add some more Boiling water this afternoon. Also i added 2 or 3 spoonfuls of bleach.

Have no idea what im going to do with it at the moment, would be brillient for a 4 or 6x2 fish tank, anyone have any ideas of what i can do cutting wise... like a way of cutting it which would look cool for my vivarium? Bare in mind the viv will be 3x18 and for a female rankins.

·
Registered
85 Posts
slightly off subject but manda you mentioned that if you didn't dry off all the wood you'll get mould on it. Well i have three branches of grape vine that i bought from my reptile shop (already stripped and sterile). They are in my viv with my cham....i have no substrate on the bottom just some kitchen roll to absorb the water...but i've noticed that the bottoms of the wood that are in touch with the wet kitchen roll, have started to get bits of mould forming....i've cleaned it off but i'm afraid that it will affect my cham's respiratory tract with spores etc...what should i do? anything i can do to stop the mould, or is it ok so long as you keep an eye on it and clean it off regularly???

my viv's well ventilated as it has mesh on the top and vents on the front for circulation, i'm sure its because of all the moisture held in the kitchen roll...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i honestly wouldnt know lol about the steam cleaner tbh
but it might be worth a go the only thing i worry about it hot water sometimes isnt enough you really need to use blech to make sure its 100% safe
manda xx

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
funnily enough no lol i thought that it does depend on the type of wood though i dont no the name of any sort of tree but i try to get a thick branch that doesnt flake off if you get me i try to find bits that the counsil have sawn off as they have flat edges :D
manda xx

·
Registered
85 Posts
hmm not sure the rubber idea will work now, was speaking to a collegue of mine at work who has a doctrate in microbiology and he basically said that mould will eat through the rubber if its already apearing on the wood. Basicaly if you have trouble with mould then its pretty much there for good unless you treat it.
He also said that because of the high humidity and heat its a perfect breeding ground, regardless of ventilation.
He's not an expert with chameleons but advised me that the best solution to the problem (and the safest) is to use a 70% solution of ethonal...it will basically kill all the spores and prevent regrowth...it also petty much all evaporates away, so should leave no toxic traces that would harm your reptile. Think i'll give this a try, what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.