Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some informed advice on creating a slate topped hide for my royal pythons. I have purchased slate tiles for a roof. I am now looking at strip wood that I can use to create effectively three 3 walls to make a hide. I have read that certain pine and softwoods can be dangerous for reptiles. Does this still apply if the wood has been dried in a kiln? Are there any better alternative strip woods that I could use safely?

Many thanks for reading and any information that you are able to provide. : victory:

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
u can use pine just varnish it 2 or 3 times to make it more hygienic and durable, if u can get a hardwood like oak that will make a better job though.

rgds
ed

Looking for some informed advice on creating a slate topped hide for my royal pythons. I have purchased slate tiles for a roof. I am now looking at strip wood that I can use to create effectively three 3 walls to make a hide. I have read that certain pine and softwoods can be dangerous for reptiles. Does this still apply if the wood has been dried in a kiln? Are there any better alternative strip woods that I could use safely?

Many thanks for reading and any information that you are able to provide. : victory:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u can use pine just varnish it 2 or 3 times to make it more hygienic and durable, if u can get a hardwood like oak that will make a better job though.

rgds
ed
Thank you for taking time to reply. Much appreciated.

Any more opinions out their?:2thumb:

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
you can use most types of wood as long as its varnished with a few coats of varnished. plywood is cheap and looks good once varnished!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Would gel coat be ok to use with snakes?

·
Registered
834 Posts
cant you get some more tiles and cut them and use a hot glue gun to stick it all together ? think that would look nice ?:2thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
use some fancy coloured bricks (like black) as the walls with the slate top. will look more natural, they are strong, wont rot or harbour mites and gives the snake a rough surface to shed against.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I like the idea of using bricks but worry that they would be to thick and take up a large amount of the viv space.

Could I use any varnish or are there particular reptile safe varnishes that people recommend?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cant you get some more tiles and cut them and use a hot glue gun to stick it all together ? think that would look nice ?:2thumb:
Cutting tiles = beyond my diy limits :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have knocked hides together in the past with pieces of pressure treated timber and never had an issue. Well cured & dried out pine would be fine also I imagine.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Roofing slates can be very sharp :gasp:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts