Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Im after some advice about my beardie cause he's started to act a bit strange. He's about 6 months and we've had him since October. Up until last month everything was fine he was eating 3 x day as many crix as he was wanting, going to the toilet 2 x per day basking and running around. About 3 weeks ago he started only eating about 3/5 crix a day now for the last 2 days hes been hiding away under his bark not coming out even to bask. Hes also not been to the toilet in 2 days. Now im starting to worry so phoned vet today and she says it could be a couple of things like a behavioural problem, hes lonely or hes starting to get sexually active. So if he doesnt go to the toilet tomorrow ive to take him in. Anyone else had anything like this. What do you think is wrong :cry:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hi
the main concern would be that he is impacted [like constipated] due to ingesting sand,bark or any form of substrate.

what is he being kept on?
how big is he? if he is just reaching the 18-20 inch mark and matruing he will slow down on the eating anyway in which case not to worry.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Also you could give him a bath in warm water to help him go to the toilelt anyway as its a good idea.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for replying. I dont know the name of the substrate but its like a sort of aggregate.Hes been on that since he was born but he doesn't get fed on it. He measures 14.5" snout to tail tip. We have been bathing him 3/4 times a week and we gave him one tonight aswell.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
he sounds like hes going to brumate but hes a bit too young for that.how are your temps? what substrate are u using? if his temps are too low he will get lethargic and will be finding it hard to digest.does he have his calcium and vits? what type of uv are u using? when did u buy it? uv helps a beardies appetite maybe your bulb might need changing.i would do as suggested and give him a nice warm bath(not hot).check your temps are ok and check to see if your due a uv change. let us know how he goes.:)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
yer give him a warm bath check for any dark parts on his tummy to check for impaction check temps they should be 105-110 on warm end and about 90-95 on the other

Hope all goes well
x:flrt:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone. I got the uv 8.0 with him in October i was going to get a new 1 next month but i can get 1 the now not a problem. The temps are 110 basking with colder end just over 85. The vet said on the phone that if he was ill i would be able to notice a change in his appearance but he doesnt look any different. His eyes look fine, he's alert. He ate 1 crix tonight which was dusted with calcium.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Does sound like he going into brumation quite a few are at the moment, he wont be pooing as much due to he his not eating as much as before,

if you want to try and prevent brumation up the temps slightly and leave lights on longer, some people dont let beardies under a year to brumate due to them not being a good size, though if any doubt always consult your vet and if possible always try and take a fresh stool sample with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts