Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me???? I recently got given a chameleon that is very small I think a couple of months at the most. Since getting her she has turned green from the brown colour that she was when I got her and she stays this green, her stools seem a normal colour from what i have read, and she is very friendly. I have only had her 2 weeks and at the weekend just gone I noticed 1 eye had shut its not got any discharge from it and she seemed to be ok in herself, however as the week has gone on her other eye has shut which has now made her fairly clumsy as she will walk around with her eyes closed.I have bathed her to see if this would help as she is quite happy to come to me and let me hold her I bought a new uva light yesterday as I didnt know how long the other bulb had been in for and I cleaned her out yesterday and it looks like she hasnt eaten in a few days im now getting very worried, Im spraying her 2-3 times a day Ive given her the vitimin powder twice a week Ive been gut loading the crickets and giving her them when its looked like shes eaten the others and since this eye problem ive been bathed her twice this week. However when shes in the water she will open them to look at me and then close them again and she will open them when i first take her out the tank the rest of the time both eyes are closed. Please help

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
She won't be able to eat if she can't open her eyes. What sort of UV light is it? Is it a compact (spiral) one or a linear (tube) one? If it's a spiral/compact then it may be the cause of her problems as some compact bulbs have been known to cause photo-keratoconjunctivitis (sp?) in chams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi she has a Reptiglo 10.0 uvb bulb in atm as that is what was recomended to is by the petshop, They said that she should be ok with one of them and if we positioned on the side of the tank rather then looking straight down it would allow the uv light to go all around rather then just being concentrated in one area. How would I know if she has photo-keratoconjunctivitis and what can I do to help her????

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do you mean one of these:

Livefood UK Ltd.

Or a tube one like:
Livefood UK Ltd.

If you have the Spiral one at the top, try taking it out of the viv for a few hours/a day and see if things improve... (the lack of UV for that period wont be a problem)

Otherwise prob a vet trip to check him out properly

The fact that he opens them when you took him out at least means he's able to use them some of the time, but if he's not opening them to eat you are right to be worried.

Is he looking ok otherwise (are his eyes sunken?) are you seeing him drink when he's sprayed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ive turned her light off a couple of hours earlier tonight to see if it will help her eyes dont seem sunken at the moment and she normally runs away when I mist her but i see her drink the droplets from the leaves and the side of the vivarium so she seems to be drinking ok, though I dont know if shes drinking enough I also put a dish of fresh standing water in with her as I was told that shes always had that however I have never seen her drink from the dish which is why i make sure i mist her as well as the rest of her home.
Also the bulb we have in is the one in the first link.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
If it was me Id change her UV to a tube version, to avoid possible/further risk of photokeratitis. Ive had keratitis personally and it is awful to say the least!

Also even if she does open her eyes tonight, Id still be tempted to get her to the vets for a check up just to give her the once over. The vet may be able to give her something to give her a boost if she has not been eating.

Spuddy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok I will try that and I will have a ring around and see if i can get her into my nearest reptile vet thankyou and will look at changing her light is there anything i could do for her in the meantime????

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Just make sure she's warm and hydrated, and Id just leave the UV off like already suggested. Try and get her an appointment for tomorrow morning, your local reptile/exotics vet should be open.

Also make sure you get a Vet that is trained with reptiles, dont let them try and fob you off with a regular dog/cat vet and get them to take a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for asking, Mystique seemed to pick up yesterday and was using her eyes alot more though she only opened them a fraction I put only a couple of crickets in her tank on friday so i could monitor her eating and was checking them everytime i misted her and this morning there is none in her tank so im assuming she has eaten them,she also seemed very lively yesterday but today she seems worse then ever ive bathed her again today and just hoping for the best and we are taking her to the vets tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts