Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my corn snake is about 6 months old but ive had him for about 3 months.

in the 12 weeks hes only shed once.

i feed him on 2 pinkies per week for the last 3 weeks.

i thought maybe he was a little cramped in in a 9 litre rub so i movied him to a 33 L rub but i put about 6 hides in it, a rock and a bit of pastic leaf, i thought this would be ok for him, but hes acting all timmid like he just peeps out of the hide, when i lift up the hides hes always trying to get away.

today i got him out but he was a little lerthargic a little slow, i mean he movies around but wasnt as jumpy like when i normally touch him he flinches away slighly but not today.

he just goes around the edges and tries to tunnel in the aspen.

even with 6 hides and objects, was it still a bad idea to be in a 33L rub?

should i put him back in the 9L ?

why hasnt he shedded yet?

am i over feeding him?

I havent got any pictures because i cant find my blue tooth stick

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I would say it is normal hatchling corn behavior and 33l is fine,however i think you are under feeding him and I would say he could be eating fuzzie mice now as my 4 month old corn is on 3 pinks a week so a 6 month old could take a fuzzie

Regarding shedding,dont worry he will shed in his own time

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say it is normal hatchling corn behavior and 33l is fine,however i think you are under feeding him and I would say he could be eating fuzzie mice now as my 4 month old corn is on 3 pinks a week so a 6 month old could take a fuzzie

well what i was going to do is feed him the pinkies untill they run out then movie to fuzzies. however... if i move him on to 3 pinkies, what times should i feed him the 3 pinkies because i dont think he could take 3 pinkies in one feeding, im told he was hatched in june.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

both my 4 and a half month old corns are on one fuzzie every 5 days : victory:

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I'd say your under feeding him , try upping the feeds , also make sure your temps are right . i'd also sugest that you have too many hides so he may be feeling a bit nervey .

Try feeding every 4 to 5 days , and IF he looks like he wants another one give it to him ( just remember that if he dont eat it remove asap ) , dont over do it as some snakes are greedy and will gorge if given the chance

Hope that helps and good luck :)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Try 2 pinkies every 5 days, instead of 7. Then when he bulks up slightly, you can go to a fuzzie every 7 when it's not too much to struggle down.

One of mine born in June is tiny as she was a late starter, she's on tiny pinkies at the moment, whereas her brother is on large pinks/crawlers at the moment. The size difference is huge, whereas the age is the same.

If the prey you're offering is the same size as the widest part of the corn's body then offer 2 prey items instead of one.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Lethargy can be an idication that the temp is too low.

Try and give the snake a hot spot of 28-30 degrees Centigrade-this will also aid digestion.

Re shedding, I would not worry too much as the snake will shed in their own time as they grow.

Re feeding I agree with the 5 day interval and it is preferable to give a single item of the right size rather than a number of smaller ones although this should not do the snake any harm BUT leave it hours rather than days if you are taking this route.

I would try with a small fluffie and see how you go.

Once on fluffies I would feed every 7 days.

I assume that fresh water is alwyas available at the cool end of the viv.

Good of you to raise this and I am sure all will be fine.

Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
my corn snake is about 6 months old but ive had him for about 3 months.

in the 12 weeks hes only shed once.

i feed him on 2 pinkies per week for the last 3 weeks.

i thought maybe he was a little cramped in in a 9 litre rub so i movied him to a 33 L rub but i put about 6 hides in it, a rock and a bit of pastic leaf, i thought this would be ok for him, but hes acting all timmid like he just peeps out of the hide, when i lift up the hides hes always trying to get away.

today i got him out but he was a little lerthargic a little slow, i mean he movies around but wasnt as jumpy like when i normally touch him he flinches away slighly but not today.

he just goes around the edges and tries to tunnel in the aspen.

even with 6 hides and objects, was it still a bad idea to be in a 33L rub?

should i put him back in the 9L ?

why hasnt he shedded yet?

am i over feeding him?

I havent got any pictures because i cant find my blue tooth stick
I would move back to the old enclosure to make him more sucure. If anything you are underfeeding him, a corn of this age should be on fuzzys at least, pinks contain little nutrition so hatchlings need to get onto fuzzies as soon as you can, this could well be the cause of not shedding very frequently but is nothing to worry about just up the food to 1.5 times the widest part and he should be fine. What are your temps? A hotspot of 29*c is ideal, coll end temps will not matter as long as the hot spot is correct.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lethargy can be an idication that the temp is too low.

Try and give the snake a hot spot of 28-30 degrees Centigrade-this will also aid digestion.

Re shedding, I would not worry too much as the snake will shed in their own time as they grow.

Re feeding I agree with the 5 day interval and it is preferable to give a single item of the right size rather than a number of smaller ones although this should not do the snake any harm BUT leave it hours rather than days if you are taking this route.

I would try with a small fluffie and see how you go.

Once on fluffies I would feed every 7 days.

I assume that fresh water is alwyas available at the cool end of the viv.

Good of you to raise this and I am sure all will be fine.

Regards,

Rob
the heatmat is on 85f (29.4) always i use a thermostat and thermomiter to get a more accurate monitor temp

fresh bottle water every day

i havent got any fluffies atm im looking in to ordering some.

how long would a corn be on fluffies before they moved up

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Mine were alright in a 9l rub untill they were about 2ft 12 months old at that size i moved them into 33/50l rubs with no problems shedding varys with each snake some of mine shed at 4 weeks others at 2.5 months so nothing to worry about :2thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.