Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i am sorry if i am boring you with my 'worried' post's but i am almost at my wits end

i have had my horsefield tort Morla for 2 months now, and thought she had settled in ok but she still scratches round the sides of her table, she goes up on her back legs and scratches as if she wants to get out ? i do let her out for a wander so she cn have some exercise and 9 times out of 10 she finds a jumper or other item of clothing to hide under and sleep
her temps are 31 in her basking spot and 15 in her bedroom

any help/advice appreciated as i am worried i am doing something wrong

thank you in advance

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi gemma I have a Horsfield too.. and only had him since 9th sept...
Its worrying isn't it , and far harder to get it right then I thought ... even thou I researched lots first im still a worried tort mum :)
I cant really give you any advise as im no expert.... but my baby did stop scratching sizes after about a week and only does it when hes got stressed .
Maybe shes stressed cos you keep taking her out ?
what substrate you using... do u have it deep enough ? do u have a uvb light and a basking ?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
hello,
i am sorry if i am boring you with my 'worried' post's but i am almost at my wits end

i have had my horsefield tort Morla for 2 months now, and thought she had settled in ok but she still scratches round the sides of her table, she goes up on her back legs and scratches as if she wants to get out ? i do let her out for a wander so she cn have some exercise and 9 times out of 10 she finds a jumper or other item of clothing to hide under and sleep
her temps are 31 in her basking spot and 15 in her bedroom

any help/advice appreciated as i am worried i am doing something wrong

thank you in advance

The reason they do this is because they are either too hot or the enclosure is not big/deep enough. It's very frustrating to see these lovely little tortoises for sale in pet shops, with no guides to their care. They are a burrowing species and NEED deep substrate with a large area of surface to explore. The fact that it finds a jumper to sleep in, shows that it wants to be buried and you need to fulfil this need in the habitat you are providing, so deep substrate - correct lighting and heat in correct position and deep substrate that is moist at the bottom of the enclosure to provide the correct humidity. I have ten horsfields and none of them are climbing the walls as they have the option to do what a burrowing species should do ;) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The reason they do this is because they are either too hot or the enclosure is not big/deep enough. It's very frustrating to see these lovely little tortoises for sale in pet shops, with no guides to their care. They are a burrowing species and NEED deep substrate with a large area of surface to explore. The fact that it finds a jumper to sleep in, shows that it wants to be buried and you need to fulfil this need in the habitat you are providing, so deep substrate - correct lighting and heat in correct position and deep substrate that is moist at the bottom of the enclosure to provide the correct humidity. I have ten horsfields and none of them are climbing the walls as they have the option to do what a burrowing species should do ;) Hope this helps.
Thank you Sue, this has helped
i was using repto-soil from the pet shop but am currently using woodchip, only had it in for 2days as it needed changing, off to get some top soil tomorrow
i am also going to get another table made for her as i don't think her's is big enough for her
this is it...

this isn't a recent picture, her table is now up off the ground

thank you for your advice, i have been in touch with the lady i got her off but she doesn't seem much help

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you say keep it moist at the bottom, how do i do this? i have seen some people use vynal floor tiles to line the bottom before adding soil, is this right?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
when you say keep it moist at the bottom, how do i do this? i have seen some people use vynal floor tiles to line the bottom before adding soil, is this right?
You can keep.the bottom layer moist.just by spraying to top.. The water will sink through the layers.. I like the vynel floor tile idea.. May use it for something else.. :)

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Thank you Sue, this has helped
i was using repto-soil from the pet shop but am currently using woodchip, only had it in for 2days as it needed changing, off to get some top soil tomorrow
i am also going to get another table made for her as i don't think her's is big enough for her
this is it...
[URL="http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t646/gemzisace/ba519ea1-22fa-4e1e-adf0-a1b29116312a_zpsab7511f9.jpg"]image[/URL]

this isn't a recent picture, her table is now up off the ground

thank you for your advice, i have been in touch with the lady i got her off but she doesn't seem much help

Yes, that is too small and not deep enough to give a good depth of soil. I line tabletops with pond liner, folded at the corners and fixed where it ends with a wooden baton. You can then water it and the bottom will remain moist for quite a while, just like a plant in a pot ;) Spraying doesn't work indoors as it is lost to evaporation before it hits the bottom. You need it to be dryer on top and damp further down for burrowing, which is why watering works much better ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you live near IKEA, I'd definitely recommend their "Kokosnot". It's basically the same as the coir you see in pet shops. Mine loves to bury himself in it, and it keeps the moisture really well but stays dry on top. It's also very cheap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you live near IKEA, I'd definitely recommend their "Kokosnot". It's basically the same as the coir you see in pet shops. Mine loves to bury himself in it, and it keeps the moisture really well but stays dry on top. It's also very cheap.
no ikea near me :( would the stuff pet shops sell do the same?

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
hi,

what UV source are you providing? I can see one.

also having a spot lamp on its side will be projecting light and heat in the wrong direction. it really does need to be facing downward to get the heat down onto the little chap. you can then set a very usable thermal gradient with your stat.

john

Reactions: SueBoyle
1 - 11 of 11 Posts