Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a rubber boa a few days ago and I believe it has mouth rot. The few days that I've had it is had been acting perfectly normal, but today it has been surfacing a few times and repeatedly opening and closing its mouth. I looked closely at the inside of its mouth and it looks fine except one thing. It's mouth is pink but there is mottling of blueish black pigment. I first thought it might have dirt in its mouth but is this even possible? Sometimes it rests with its mouth slightly open. I took it out to examine it and it acted normal, it did not open its mouth at all and was active.

I was planning to take it to the vet for a checkup, but should I do this sooner?

Help is much appreciated as I am very worried about losing this snake.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I recently purchased a rubber boa a few days ago and I believe it has mouth rot. The few days that I've had it is had been acting perfectly normal, but today it has been surfacing a few times and repeatedly opening and closing its mouth. I looked closely at the inside of its mouth and it looks fine except one thing. It's mouth is pink but there is mottling of blueish black pigment. I first thought it might have dirt in its mouth but is this even possible? Sometimes it rests with its mouth slightly open. I took it out to examine it and it acted normal, it did not open its mouth at all and was active.

I was planning to take it to the vet for a checkup, but should I do this sooner?

Help is much appreciated as I am very worried about losing this snake.
I've dealt with a case of mouth rot (stomatitis) before, but it was very obvious what it was

A horrible smell and thick puss around the teeth

I treated it with a home remedy combined with a broad spectrum antibiotic

What you've described doesn't sound like mouth rot, the dark patch is probably pigment

However if you were planning to take it to a vet anyway it would be a good idea to do it sooner rather than later, no one can diagnose something over the internet

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
A quick google search yields loads of photos of mouth rot...from slight to advanced

This is pretty much what I dealt with

(Bizarrely I think this is one of wlw's photos...I recognise the hand!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
A quick google search yields loads of photos of mouth rot...from slight to advanced

This is pretty much what I dealt with

(Bizarrely I think this is one of wlw's photos...I recognise the hand!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And what looks suspiciously like a C. aspera :lol2:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whelp...I think I found out what it was. It's just a bunch of dirt in his mouth. Don't know how it got there, think he just keeps burrowing and it gets into his mouth somehow...Should I get it out? Seems to be bothering him. Poor dirt-eater

Guess I overreacted, my bad :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts