Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am thinking of geting two or three leopard geckos and keeping them in a 4 ft viv but the geckos I am thinking of geting are only 2 months old! at what age can you tell whether they are m/f? Also If they are too young to sex would it be alright to keep them together at this age? they are together in the pet shop but not sure if they should be or not?

·
Registered
475 Posts
4 ft is way too big! A 3ft viv would happily house 3 - 4 adults!! You'd be better off getting adults if your inexperienced. They can be sexed from as early as 3 months, but it depends how big the geckos are, how much they've been fed as they all grow at different rates. Look at the care sheet on www.thegeckospot.com for more info. And buy some books for research before you buy them :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree with Kerry1 about getting some books and research a bit more, i needed to before i bught mine, but i am not disagreeing or agreeing about the comment of better getting adults, i bought babys and still have mine 10 months down the line, it depends on the time you have for them and whetehr you have done enough research!!!

m not of course sayingim gospel here but just sayingit worked forme.

The shop should really have an idea on sex as they must of incubated, or they should ask the supplier they got them off what sex they incubated them at.

Males can be seen at 2 months but only by a good eye, the ideal time would be 6 months to check sex, untill then they should be fine, as they are sexual immature and males as far as imaware will not fight at the currenttime. and if they have been housed togetehr withouta problem should be fine.

What i would also say is, if yu have got 3 geckos and 2 or even 1 is a male you need to have space to the means to sell them if you dnt. seperate viv and evrything.

Hope this has helped??

J

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have one leopard gecko which I bought in november from the same pet shop so I know how look after them, he/she is in a 2ft viv and looking well nice fat tail and that quite lively ready he is 2 months old same as the rest in the pet shop! but now I feel sorry for the 3 that are left in the pet shop they look tho they need some attention they are a bit on the skinny side and they dont have a proper red light in there viv (it letter a lot of white light tho at the top) :( I have read a few care sheats on leopard geckos just not seen any that say what age they can be sexed and whether you can keep them together at two months or not!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pet shop said they are to young to sex so they dont know wheather they have males or females! Dont think they Know that much about them really!
So do you think it would be ok to keep them together while they are young in 4ft viv? was thinking of a 3ft viv but decided that I wanted them to have lots of space so they dont get in each other way if you know what I mean! :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
hi,

sorr if you thought i meant you did not knwo what you were doing, i didn't mean to soudn like that was just aying about getting enough knowledge and info to care for them.

i wouldof said 3ft is better, we originally had 1x4ft viv for two babys we thought the same as you but the as we got more knowledgeable about geckos we got them a 3ft viv. i am not sure whether someone told me or whether i read it but too spacies isn't good for them.

so i would recommend the 3ft, i would also say if it was mei would buy the other 3 and put them all togethr, lets hpe there all girls as that would be a wonderful breeding groupfrom young.

3ft is less cleaning space, looks really nice with 4 geckos roaming around as i see eevryday, and also my girls are adults and have plenty of room around the viv.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think I will get them just one fear that they are all boys! Would this be very likely? :?

·
Registered
719 Posts
well honestly i dont know, but if the have incbated for just females then u wll have females, but if they have done mix temp meaning boys and girls likely, the it could b mixture.

i doubt they are all boys, but you can check their if they are two months, you just need to know the pour locations and the markings, if there all boys yuwill have to sell them or seperate hem all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
think il go for it and fingers crossed that they are not all boys other wise have to buy more vivs!lol Would they need a humid hide each as well as a few normal hides? :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
right what i have done is got one moist area /humid area, a couple of warm hides s they can share, cold area hides, and long logs with hollo middles so they can hide in there,

i also noticed you mentioned somethign about a red light??? geckos can not see red lights so if you pu one on they will not even noticed light, they will need a normal light on for the 12 hour cycle.

yeah go for it girl, hope it works ou and send me pics if you can??

Cheers

J

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The red light is to heat the viv at night I know that they can't see red that's why i have a complete red one. I have also got a stripe light for the day time so he/she knows when it is day and when it is night. Going to get the 3 at the pet shop when I get paid have to wait till the 26 Jan tho! I will post pics of them all when I have them settled In thanks for you advice! :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
With the leos being that young I'd keep them in seperate tubs so you can monitor they're feeding. You say the pet shop are keeping them together, but this could be why they are thin, as some of them will be greedier than others meaning some of them aren't getting enough food. I keep all my youngsters seperate or in twos but no more than that until they are adult and also I keep the greedy ones together and the quiet ones together so no one misses out on food. Also you don't need light with leos as they're nocturnal. Heat mat is better as the heat from underneath helps them to digest their food.

And apologies, didn't realise you already had a leo :oops: :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Readeano, light is not necessary at all. They use normal daylight to tell them when it is daytime. You probably already know this, but just thought I'd add it. And lizzy, I just use a larger tub for a humid hide rather than 1 each. They're often all in it together :lol:

·
Registered
719 Posts
hi Kerry1,
yea i know about the light, hhahaha i would be worried if i did not. i prefer to have mine on light as if you have not got direct sun light through the window in your room, the viv could always be dull, and the geckos will or possibly think it is winter all year round. could stop eating and lack of so much eating.

As for the moist area i agree one moist for all, saves room and they learn to share, also as for the seperateing issue, i have managed looking after my 4 girls togetehr from babys and they all eat fine, with pet shops they dont know much about geckos, refrase some pet shops just in case anybody takes offense. so i am sure that is why there skinny or thin.

hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts