Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have taken a lizard away from a friend who really should not own pets. i have no idea what type of lizard it is and its in a bad way iv got the smallest locust i could get but i just cant get it to eat please does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do. also i have taken it to the vet and was advised to feed it little and often but its getting it to eat that im having problems with.
many thanks for any responses

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi can you post a photo of the lizard ? Just noticed this is your first post, welcome to the forum. If you don't know how to post photo's you need to up load the photo to a site such as photobucket and from there you can get the image url code then post that here :)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Looks like some sort of day gecko, they're not something i've looked much into so what exact species im afraid i've no idea! You might have better luck feeding one of the formulated powder diets you can get for fruit eating gecko (repashy, pangea etc) im not sure s/he is in good enough condition to hunt bugs if not been cared for correctly for a while.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will pop along at some point soon. Good luck with the little guy :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the temperature is reading 80 degrees there is nothing on the viv that shows the humidity. i fear it may be too late for the little guy as iv just tried holding a locust with some tweezers to its mouth and he wont even open his mouth to take it he is barely moving :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
the temperature is reading 80 degrees there is nothing on the viv that shows the humidity. i fear it may be too late for the little guy as iv just tried holding a locust with some tweezers to its mouth and he wont even open his mouth to take it he is barely moving :(
Here's a care sheet on giant day geckos Giant Day Gecko Care Sheet
If he's hardly moving I suggest you get him to the vets right away.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi, feeding is not so important just now, what you need to do is make sure the conditions are supportive, in that regard, how are you measuring the ambient (air) and basking surface temps? You also need to know what the humidity range is.
Can you show a photo of the whole enclosure including the top?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Oh gosh, this poor grandis is seriously underweight and looks in a critical condition.

You need to get the temp of that viv up from 80f to more like 90 and you need to get a new UV bulb - Even if it came with one, as I would not trust it to be inside it's shelf life if it has one with the lizard looking like that.

You already have some links here to some good care sheets.

Temperature. humitidy and correct UV are critical here to attempting a recovery, alas it is really really underweight and its feet look in a really bad way.

As already asked - can you provide a photo of the entire setup so we can try and help some more?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I cant help with the day gecko care info but as sufggested a phot plus description of the full set up is needed.
It can be daunting looking into how to set up thermostas etc.. if you havent before so if you know anyone who keep healthy reptiles get them to help you out.
You will likely need to spend a bit of money on fine tuning the set up to the lizards needs ie: new UVB bulb (and fittingif he doesnt currently have one) a thermostat for his heat bulb if he doesnt have one already.

Im speculating on "if he doesnt have one" as many animals who are in poor condition have simply not had the right set up.
As for diet, I would urge you to try out a repashy or pangea mix from the pet store as he might respond better to this than to live food right now, in either case hs temperatures and basking spot need to be correct for him to be able to process the food too. So priorities for me would be to get the heat and uvb sorted and buy a gecko diet from the pet shop, hopefuly he will respond to the gecko diet (you could maybe dab some on his nose to get him interested) then just leave him alone as much as possible. hopefully in a supportive set up he will turn it around.
Keep us updated :)

Oh also misting might help - alot of lizards will drink water droplets from leaves or other surfaces when misted lightly, he is probably dehyrated so I'd give this a try too, dont spray the lizard directly as he probably wont appriciate it :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for your comments i took this little guy back to the vets last night but unfortunately his little body gave up and he died :(

i have spent the day back in my 'friends' (dont wish to class her as a friend anymore) house and have removed several animals
2 water dragons
2 snakes
2 turtles
1 cat
1 tiny lizzard im not sure what it is

and have taken them all to my vet for health checks the tiny lizzard 1 water dragon and the cat have all had to stay there as they are in a bad way.

i have been to my local pet shop and met the kindest people who have come to my home and helped me check that the setups are correct and are due back shortly with a viv for the water dragons as the ones they were in are extremely inadequate.

i have never owned reptiles before im more your furry pet owner but i hope with a lot of research and advice from knowledgeable people i can transform these guys and bring them back to the exquiste creatures that they should be.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Is it a good idea to take all of these on if you don't know how to care for them? Fair enough your intentions are admirable but wouldn't it be better to find other exotic keepers that could take them because it will be a very steep learning curve to look after 7 reptiles especially if they have health problems.

Whatever you do good luck with it though :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Sorry to hear about the little chap.

First well done to you for standing up for these poor animals ? Was you friend happy for you to take them ?

Just a word of caution. It can be stressful and costly to get rescued reptiles back into good shape and if you haven't had reps before I would suggest that maybe you might think about passing at least some of them to someone who has experience with poorly reptiles.
It's great that you have taken the time and cost to take them to the vets for a check up and fantastic that the shop are willing to help advise the set ups :)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
First off well done for getting the remaining animals away from danger and to the vet. Now personally I'd look to rehome all of them to owners/animal rescue. Someone with experience to care for animals that haven't been looked after. That's not slating you by the way. It's just what I would not knowing their care and the condition they're in.

Well done for sorting them out once again. Although one lizard sadly didn't make it you've given the rest a chance at least.

Reactions: judge360

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i totally understand what your saying and i to feel they would be better with someone who knows what they are doing the people helping me would have taken them themself but just dont have the room they only live 10 mins down the road and are willing to help me as much as they can i do plan to get them to someone with expericence but my first step was to get them out of that house.

i didnt give the friend much option and have also reported her for animal cruelty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
thank you all for your comments i took this little guy back to the vets last night but unfortunately his little body gave up and he died :(

i have spent the day back in my 'friends' (dont wish to class her as a friend anymore) house and have removed several animals
2 water dragons
2 snakes
2 turtles
1 cat
1 tiny lizzard im not sure what it is

and have taken them all to my vet for health checks the tiny lizzard 1 water dragon and the cat have all had to stay there as they are in a bad way.

i have been to my local pet shop and met the kindest people who have come to my home and helped me check that the setups are correct and are due back shortly with a viv for the water dragons as the ones they were in are extremely inadequate.

i have never owned reptiles before im more your furry pet owner but i hope with a lot of research and advice from knowledgeable people i can transform these guys and bring them back to the exquiste creatures that they should be.
Sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it, you tried your best. Good on you for getting these animals out of that house and to the vets, since your new to reptiles I would look to rehome them to someone with experience with sick animals, as this is too much to take on for someone with little to no experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have found a reptile shop not far from me and have made arrangements to take the snakes there tomorrow
so that will just leave me with 1 water dragon and 2 turtles which according to my vet are in better health than the rest they just need feeding up ( i still plan to find them a more knowledgable home )

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
That's great.
Did you say there was a small lizard as well that you didn't know what it was ? If the pet shop weren't able to identify maybe post a pic here to see if we can help ?

These animals were lucky you took them by. The sound of it :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes there is a little lizzard it is at the vets with one of the water dragons and the cat as they are all in very bad health im affraid i dont have a picture of it.
it is about the length of a finger and it black yellow and blue sorry not much to go on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts