Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a glass container measuring 10.5 x 12.5 x 6.5 (Inches). Inside this will be a few rocks popping up above the water. Keep in mind that this setup is for a Red-eyed crocodile skink. There will be a pump/filter (fairly big) and there will be a few fish in there. Danio's, Tetras' and Algae eating shrimp e.g. Amano, bee, cheery or ghost. Will the water stay fresh enough for the croc skink to drink out of and will the fish being in there affect the croc skink's confidence to swim. Also will the croc skink get hurt by one of the fish or will it hurt the fish? Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's a glass container measuring 10.5 x 12.5 x 6.5 (Inches). Inside this will be a few rocks popping up above the water. Keep in mind that this setup is for a Red-eyed crocodile skink. There will be a pump/filter (fairly big) and there will be a few fish in there. Danio's, Tetras' and Algae eating shrimp e.g. Amano, bee, cheery or ghost. Will the water stay fresh enough for the croc skink to drink out of and will the fish being in there affect the croc skink's confidence to swim. Also will the croc skink get hurt by one of the fish or will it hurt the fish? Thanks.
As i was doing research for my red eyes i found that alot of people only use a pond area that is max depth of an inch as croc skinks have been known to drown if you scare them and they play dead in the water. hope this helps.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The fish wouldn't harm the skink but if the skink craps in the water it could pollute it too much and cause the fish harm.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The fish wouldn't harm the skink but if the skink craps in the water it could pollute it too much and cause the fish harm.
I've never cohabited fish & skinks but equally could not the excessive build of nitrates from the fish poo be detramental to the skink if this is its drinking source ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yes it will be there drinking source but there will be a filter or a sump tank and i will be cleaning the filter and water fort-nightly by washing the gunk off the filter sponge in the water from the tank. I will also be taking out 1/4 of the water and be replacing it with de-chlorinated water. Like i said there will be various types of algae eaters so that won't be a problem

edit:
-When I say i will be cleaning the gunk off the filter sponge in the water from the tank, i mean extracting some of the water into a bucket or something then doing it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You're talking about a really small volume of water for those fish and shrimps. I doubt you'd be able to keep them alive for very long, even without potential waste from the lizard further polluting the water. It sounds like a nice idea but I just can't see it working on that sort of scale - you'd need a much larger volume of water with very light fish stocking levels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're talking about a really small volume of water for those fish and shrimps. I doubt you'd be able to keep them alive for very long, even without potential waste from the lizard further polluting the water. It sounds like a nice idea but I just can't see it working on that sort of scale - you'd need a much larger volume of water with very light fish stocking levels.
The container they will be kept in is 6.5" high so think about a 7" ipad mini or Nexus tablet; that isnt too small. The length is just under half a metre and the width is 30cm more'a less. There will be about 5 fish the size of your fingernail swimming about in there;Danio's/tetras'&Amano/cherry shrimp:Na_Na_Na_Na:... Do you still think it'll be too small?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.