Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
After looking into things iv decided that a corn snake would fit better into my life style.
I actually have a tank lying around at home and was wondering if it would b suitable for a while?
Its 24 inch long x 24 High x 12 wide (bow fronted)?
Was going to a shelf in on one side and some branches and things.

Aslo v heard ppl recommend someone on here to buy corn snakes from...could anyone let me know who this is? Iv seen some of the snakes ppl have bought from him and they are gorgeous.

Cheers Guys

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
possibly corn morphs is it your thinking of.
that tank may be a little big for a baby corn. it may get stressed out especially as two foot is quite high for a viv.

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
It would be easier if you posted a pic of the viv so that people can see woot u are on about,

And as 400 said it will be too big for a baby snake.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its actally an old fish tank whic im having trouble selling, i can get the bb something smaller to live in as dont want it to be stressed but do you think it would be ay good when it got older.
The tank is now empty it no longer houses goldfish lol

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
glass isnt very good for reps, it is hard to keep the heat and you will need to cover at least three sides so that the snake feels mors secure, you will also need to make sure that the lid is very secure or you wont have a snake for very long, they are master escape artists.
For a hatchling use a faurnarium or small tub and upgrade as the snake grows, when full grown a 36x18x18 inch wooden viv with glass sliding doors would be better.
Cant really think of anything else you could put in it other than fish.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Too big for a hatchling, too small for an adult.

Where are you in the country, if near me may be able to sort you out with both a viv and a snake. :wink:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok what size tub would you suggest strating with and how long would it be suitable for?

im actually in the north east england so unfortunatly unless a courier can be used it would be difficult

peterlee county durham

cheers

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
fazer600sy said:
Too big for a hatchling, too small for an adult
Yer, personly i wouldnt keep a hatchling in fish tank, but a proper tank just a small one for now. And tanks with lids on top arn't the best. I heard the snakes thinks your hands a bird and attacks. But anyway that is to big and will stress the snake out. Hatchlings don't realy like big tanks, they dont feel secure.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
I have never had a corn but now a bit about them. Many people and care sheets say a 2ft tank is big enough for an adult. I would like mine to be in a 2, 1/2ft tank or 3ft as corns can grow to 5ft.
Maybe a 30inch by 15incc or 18inch. Dont think they would need bigger than 3ft tank.

G

·
I would keep a hatchling in a large cadburies box(plastic shoebox) or a small contico or similar.A viv for a hatchling will be too big and the snake could easily escape from it(the gap in the glass or any small holes for cables)The hatchlings are often referred to as bootlaces as they are around 8-10 inches long and resemble a shoe or boot lace in thickness.

Cornmorphs usually has loads of hatchlings and they are probably the ones you have seen sold on here.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Depends how old the snake is. If you get one whitch is a couple months old you could put in a lil viv foot square ill post a pic of the one i have if you like? I have a baby boa in it the shop said thats best. And ill be making a bigger one in couple months.

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
I learnt the hard way about putting a hatchling in a big viv! Firstly she escaped through the smallest of holes in the back! (found her!)

But then she got very defensive when i put my hand in the viv and It was so hard to pick her up! All because When I got my baby I was told by the pet shop that i got just put her in the 3 FOOT VIV i was sold with her!..

After the advice given from the guys on here she is now in a much smaller tub and is become a lot easier to handle!

:twisted: @Pet Shops!

Dunno why I felt the need to rant! lol

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
The gap between my doors on the viv are a mm so no hatchling would get through that.and they arn'e expensive i bought myn from a reptile shop for £35, so i suggest you get one of those, they are good.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for all the replies guys, well in all the hustle and excitement i was in at getting my first reptile, i forgot im moving in with my boyfriend later this year(please dont tell him) :oops: and he doesnt think his uncle would agree to letting me take a snake with me aswell as my guinea pigs so unfortunatly it will have to wait

I was so so excitied even found the perfect container to keep it in aswell

damn damn damn

ah well

Again thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i agree with what people have said so far.
i do have tnt and can deliver for £35 via them, but if you dont want to spend too much it will be cheaper to find a local breeder or shop.
john (lostcorn) on here is northwest? suppose thats too far?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i would have been quite happy to pay for the tnt courier from yourself as you have a brilliant rep on here and have seen the sanke ppl have bought but unfortunatly like i said in my other post i can no longer look at getting one but will definatly be in contact if anything changes

cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts