Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I agree with others that creating them is most of the fun, but I honestly feel i dont have the natural flair of say a 'morgan freeman'

Nice vivs chrism:2thumb:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I agree with others that creating them is most of the fun, but I honestly feel i dont have the natural flair of say a 'morgan freeman'

Nice vivs chrism:2thumb:
I think the trick is to not actually have any frogs in them...:whistling2:

Joking aside, although my set-ups tend to be fairly simple, I agree that the setting up is a big part of the fun. I'd be quite happy (if I could afford it!) to have someone build me a viv to spec, but I'd want to plant and decorate myself.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I think the phib section is a bit to know how about building tanks like that we all enjoy making it as much as keeping phibs if not more! so I cant see the market being very big other than begginers .... would be a cracking job though making vivs all day long :2thumb:

try the lizard section allthough you will probable be hung drawn and quartered for using live plants and soil because as well all know lizards live on kitchen roll and hide inside toilet roll tubes(FACT) A fair few cresty owners and the like are starting to try live plants im sure they might be intrested,that or build 10 or so and take em to a breeders meet like pras or kempton and see what sells :no1:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
try the lizard section allthough you will probable be hung drawn and quartered for using live plants and soil because as well all know lizards live on kitchen roll and hide inside toilet roll tubes(FACT) A fair few cresty owners and the like are starting to try live plants im sure they might be intrested,that or build 10 or so and take em to a breeders meet like pras or kempton and see what sells :no1:
The only lizards of mine who live on paper towels (because its easier to clean), are my baby cresties.. the rest have eco earth :lol2:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The only lizards of mine who live on paper towels (because its easier to clean), are my baby cresties.. the rest have eco earth :lol2:
Yeah, but you're really a 'Phibs person!:2thumb:

If you were really a lizard person, you'd realise that all lizards have to be kept away from anything natural, or they will prove even more suicidal than frogs, rushing to impale themselves, poison themselves or strangle themselves, if good old impaction doesn't work! The only proper way to keep them is in a sterile box, with maybe an expensive and incredibly unrealistic plastic hide. You can also only feed them factory-bred live food, so as to cut down on the chance of them catching anything from the real world. A polystyrene mock-up of the Pyramids or an Aztec temple is ok, though.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts

If you were really a lizard person, you'd realise that all lizards have to be kept away from anything natural, or they will prove even more suicidal than frogs, rushing to impale themselves, poison themselves or strangle themselves, if good old impaction doesn't work! The only proper way to keep them is in a sterile box, with maybe an expensive and incredibly unrealistic plastic hide. You can also only feed them factory-bred live food, so as to cut down on the chance of them catching anything from the real world. A polystyrene mock-up of the Pyramids or an Aztec temple is ok, though.
:lol2::lol2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think I'd pay to have someone decorate my viv...
Decorating is one of the best part of the fish/amphibian keeping hobby.
(Only second to watching the frog wiping its lips after eating, which is sooooooooooo cute)

Though I would pay if someone could plan the whole water/pump/filter/misting/rainfall system for me though...
I am, after all, a woman... and flap packed beds are the best I can manage in terms of DIY...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
^^ agree with this. Female, aweful at diy. i would pay someone for funky sides in that bark stuff, waterfall and fogger (that you can get out and clean when bugs suiside themselves) and doesnt smell of old damp bogs when u open the door - i know i forgot drainage :'(

yes im a amphib, lizard, snake, invert person. Yes i use soil the funky stuff with plant leaves in and it makes a really soft landing when suicide cresty's miss thier leaves and capuf on the floor but that doesnt make me a bad person. i do try to decorate my vivs with lots of trees and fake plants ect but its only because i cant make nice things grow.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Hey Chris how goes it ? I also find the whole creating a mini rainforest,out of junk polystyrene...foam epoxy an' all enthralling so no it wouldn't be for me either 'though i think in time as we catch up to the europeans with our beloved frogs there might just be a market....and there probably is one here its just finding it...not everyone has practical skills...we all have different abilities, but most here wanna diy 'cause its such a crack...been fighting with second hand glass after work what fun....ERM....the biggy is how long will a viv that one has built for someone else hold up....i haven't been able to find this one out and god knows i've tried....so from me mate best'o' luck...Stu

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Allthough i had a lot of interest in the one i planted up and took to pras, and sold it no problem it had a lot to do with the fact they were buying the viv as well and then could buy dartfrogs straight away off Simon T whose table was right by mine
as already said most people like to furnish there own vivs

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Allthough i had a lot of interest in the one i planted up and took to pras, and sold it no problem it had a lot to do with the fact they were buying the viv as well and then could buy dartfrogs straight away off Simon T whose table was right by mine
Yeah i would have bought that one if i hadn't wanted to do it myself, plus they could just buy it and then use it straight away. It was really nice. Bet it helped sell a few vivs, moss and plants as well...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Best post i've seen on here for ages me old mucker :2thumb:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I didn't know you were selling that! I'd've well had it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts