Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My beloved Ackie monitor Doug has a strange wound on her leg, I'm very worried that it could be YF or something else as the scales around the wound have turned white,

She has a vet appointment for next week Wednesday but I'm very worried, if anybody has ever seen a wound like this before please let me know!

·
Super Moderator
16,923 Posts
Email the photos to the vet and see if you can bring the appointment forward and give advice on what you should do in the meantime. Alternatively, let us know whereabouts you are and we might be able to suggest another vet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet is the Beaumont sainsbury animal hospital in London, on the phone they said that the wound is scabbed over so I should just clean it daily until the appointment

She isn't bleeding or showing signs of being distressed

·
Super Moderator
16,923 Posts
The vet is the Beaumont sainsbury animal hospital in London, on the phone they said that the wound is scabbed over so I should just clean it daily until the appointment

She isn't bleeding or showing signs of being distressed
Brilliant you can't do better than them. Follow their advice and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sounds fine and it doesn't look like much to worry about. Possibly an injury from just generally being a monitor lizard in a viv.. digging and climbing etc.

It could be a bite from another monitor, but it doesn't look like that to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds fine and it doesn't look like much to worry about. Possibly an injury from just generally being a monitor lizard in a viv.. digging and climbing etc.

It could be a bite from another monitor, but it doesn't look like that to me.

She lives on her own without other Ackies, when I bought her she had bad social cohesion with the other ackies in their shared vivarium. I made the decision that she would be happier without others!

I think you are right about the general ackie business causing the wound, she could well have jumped from her climbing wall and fell in a bad way

I'll update you all when she's had her appointment!

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
Agreed it doesn't look too much of a worry. Doesn't look infected or raw and seems to be healing over.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hi, it looks to be fairly deep, while it may not be very serious at this time you can apply a diluted iodine solution for now (if you aren`t already treating it) @ ten parts water to one part iodine, apply once per day allow to dry naturally.
Just for the sake of asking, do you leave any live prey in the enclosure overnight, and if it`s already healing over, it`s not that fresh of a wound?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, it looks to be fairly deep, while it may not be very serious at this time you can apply a diluted iodine solution for now (if you aren`t already treating it) @ ten parts water to one part iodine, apply once per day allow to dry naturally.
Just for the sake of asking, do you leave any live prey in the enclosure overnight, and if it`s already healing over, it`s not that fresh of a wound?
I'm doing the iodine soaks already, she's being very patient with it luckily

No live pray in her enclosure, I have a sneaking suspicion it might of been caused by a slightly sharp toy tunnel she has. To be safe I'll remove it from her enclosure

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm doing the iodine soaks already, she's being very patient with it luckily

No live pray in her enclosure, I have a sneaking suspicion it might of been caused by a slightly sharp toy tunnel she has. To be safe I'll remove it from her enclosure
I take it when you say "soaks" you don`t mean that literally!?
On a side note, how many times has she been gravid (assuming she`s big enough to be sexually mature)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take it when you say "soaks" you don`t mean that literally!?
On a side note, how many times has she been gravid (assuming she`s big enough to be sexually mature)?
Haha of course not! "Soak" as in soaking a cotton pad in the solution before applying it to the area, don't worry I'm not putting the poor girl in a torture tub !

Funnily enough she's never been gravid. I took her to the vet about it last year to see if she could possibly be holding the eggs in and they said she showed no signs of egg retention and suggested she simply may not lay eggs for while still

I have no plans of breeding her

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Haha of course not! "Soak" as in soaking a cotton pad in the solution before applying it to the area, don't worry I'm not putting the poor girl in a torture tub !

Funnily enough she's never been gravid. I took her to the vet about it last year to see if she could possibly be holding the eggs in and they said she showed no signs of egg retention and suggested she simply may not lay eggs for while still

I have no plans of breeding her
Good to hear you just apply the solution to the wound itself!
If she`s never been gravid are you sure she is female?
It doesn`t matter whether you want to let her breed or not, healthy females normally become gravid on a regular basis, and there`s an outside chance the eggs could be fertile (asexual reproduction) although as far as I`m aware it hasn`t been recorded in this species in captivity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to hear you just apply the solution to the wound itself!
If she`s never been gravid are you sure she is female?
It doesn`t matter whether you want to let her breed or not, healthy females normally become gravid on a regular basis, and there`s an outside chance the eggs could be fertile (asexual reproduction) although as far as I`m aware it hasn`t been recorded in this species in captivity.
I'm fairly certain she's a female, she was sexed at the vets and they said she was likely female

I've done the flashlight test at home and I can't see any hemipenes, the lack of egg laying has had me confused for a while but the vets assured me some individuals may only lay once or twice in their life span,

She has lots of deep soil and a moisture box with sphagnum moss so she has safe laying areas she could take advantage of,

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm fairly certain she's a female, she was sexed at the vets and they said she was likely female

I've done the flashlight test at home and I can't see any hemipenes, the lack of egg laying has had me confused for a while but the vets assured me some individuals may only lay once or twice in their life span,

She has lots of deep soil and a moisture box with sphagnum moss so she has safe laying areas she could take advantage of,
How did the vet determine gender, and can you show the vent area from below if it doesn`t cause the monitor too much stress to be handled?
Have you taken the substrate temps from the enclosure floor upwards and if yes, what are they? Pics of the "moisture box" might help too (do you mean "nesting box")?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts