Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all can anyone advise what could be the cause of wrinkly eye on my retic
02A36820-DC4D-4F4F-BAA7-6DE849C218C8.jpeg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Eye cap is still on from shedding. Soak the snake for about 30mins & wipe it off if it doesn't fall off from soaking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has been like this through two sheds already and I have tried soaking her and she also has a large soaking tray in her viv

I will try soaking her again in a couple of days and see if they lift at all

·
Registered
70 Posts
She has been like this through two sheds already and I have tried soaking her and she also has a large soaking tray in her viv

I will try soaking her again in a couple of days and see if they lift at all
You might have 2 layers stuck now so hence why they aren't coming off easily.
Get a container with a lid (obviously with air holes) & fill it with luke warm water. Put the snake in & close the lid. I would leave her in there for an hr (keep checking on her). By using a lid you will create humidity so will soften any skin that isn't submersed in the water. They should come right off.
Problem is is, just because a snake soaks, it will very rarely keep its head under the water so eye caps & head skin doesn't always come off. Doing it this way is no different than raising the humidity in your viv, except its more confined.
You might have to give the eye cap a hard wipe with your CLEAN finger. Don't worry you won't hurt the snake. I wouldn't use a cotton bud as you got the risk of poking your snake in the eye & hurting it, but your finger won't go in its eyes, just over it.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might have 2 layers stuck now so hence why they aren't coming off easily.
Get a container with a lid (obviously with air holes) & fill it with luke warm water. Put the snake in & close the lid. I would leave her in there for an hr (keep checking on her). By using a lid you will create humidity so will soften any skin that isn't submersed in the water. They should come right off.
Problem is is, just because a snake soaks, it will very rarely keep its head under the water so eye caps & head skin doesn't always come off. Doing it this way is no different than raising the humidity in your viv, except its more confined.
You might have to give the eye cap a hard wipe with your CLEAN finger. Don't worry you won't hurt the snake. I wouldn't use a cotton bud as you got the risk of poking your snake in the eye & hurting it, but your finger won't go in its eyes, just over it.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.
Brill thanks pal I’ll give it a go and hopefully it work but I’ll let you know either way

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all I’ve tried just about everything to see if if it’s retained eye caps

soaking her in bath . Keeping my humidity up . Eye drops etc.(( Eye caps go milky ))
E494E39A-3270-4246-9942-731E7BCB61CE.jpeg

and still no eye caps coming off or wrinkles going

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
One thing I did notice in the image posted in the snake picture section of (presumably) your daughter holding the rabbit is that the inside of the glass is smeared in the same way my boa smeared his glass when he had a recent RI. Now it might be a trick of the light or the angle the image was taken at, but if the glass is smeary I would have the snake looked at by a vet. There may be an infection forming which is also showing in the clarity and wrinkling of the eyecaps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing I did notice in the image posted in the snake picture section of (presumably) your daughter holding the rabbit is that the inside of the glass is smeared in the same way my boa smeared his glass when he had a recent RI. Now it might be a trick of the light or the angle the image was taken at, but if the glass is smeary I would have the snake looked at by a vet. There may be an infection forming which is also showing in the clarity and wrinkling of the eyecaps
The smearing of n the glass is from where she sniffs at the edge of the glass all the time and due to the description me of the viv I can’t clean it all the time unless I take the glass out that ain’t easy to do

I have spoken to our vet and he said to wait till next shed and see if they come away and if not then to call back

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
The smearing of n the glass is from where she sniffs at the edge of the glass all the time and due to the description me of the viv I can’t clean it all the time unless I take the glass out that ain’t easy to do

I have spoken to our vet and he said to wait till next shed and see if they come away and if not then to call back
I'm sorry but a normal snake in good health would not smear mucus like that over the glass. I'm speaking from experience as having been through an RI with my boa, the inside of his viv was like that in your photo compared to clean glass after he recovered. I've currently got a male royal that is constantly wanting to get to the female above, pressing hard against the glass for best part of the day... and the glass is clear... I would really suggest you ask for the vets opinion. If I'm wrong then fine, I'm wrong, but if I'm right then it could mean catching an RI before it develops into pneumonia.

Anyway, I'm just expressing an opinion. It's down to you if you want to follow that through or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I find cotton pads (not buds) work a treat for retained eye caps, mate. Obviously make sure they have no fragrance/ chemicals in them etc.

Soak the snake for 20-30 mins or so and guide the pads (dampened) slowly over the eye. This has worked for me, with even the most stubborn caps, with a little bit of patience and perseverance.

Good luck 👊

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I find cotton pads (not buds) work a treat for retained eye caps, mate. Obviously make sure they have no fragrance/ chemicals in them etc.

Soak the snake for 20-30 mins or so and guide the pads (dampened) slowly over the eye. This has worked for me, with even the most stubborn caps, with a little bit of patience and perseverance.

Good luck 👊
I have done exactly that sir ( twice ) and still no joy
And application on eye drops

going on the fact they go milky after a soak I’d say it’s defo retained eye caps but also she’s not the best behaved in regards to having to hold still while I try to remove them lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry but a normal snake in good health would not smear mucus like that over the glass. I'm speaking from experience as having been through an RI with my boa, the inside of his viv was like that in your photo compared to clean glass after he recovered. I've currently got a male royal that is constantly wanting to get to the female above, pressing hard against the glass for best part of the day... and the glass is clear... I would really suggest you ask for the vets opinion. If I'm wrong then fine, I'm wrong, but if I'm right then it could mean catching an RI before it develops into pneumonia.

Anyway, I'm just expressing an opinion. It's down to you if you want to follow that through or not.
I have done checks to see if there is any signs of a respiratory infection and nothing obvious

but will consult my vet again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts