Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot believe some people. Had a girl in today that was given a cali king snake. She was told it hadn't eaten in over 3 months and the owner wouldn't touch it as he had been bitten once and he was scared of it!

Before looking at the snake i started asking the basic questions:

Whats the temps like? How you heating? Is she drinking? Shedding ok?

Got the following answers:

Was being kept at ROOM temp with NO HEATING provided at all.

Water wasn't put in as wasn't needed.

Shed was possibley ok ( I can't figure out how she shed ok as she had NO water at all.) But looking at her she does seem to have shed clean.

Now as soon as this supposedly aggressive snake came in i stuck my hand in the pillow case and picked her up ( Its only a year old king.... if it hadda been a 2 or 3 year old boa i mighta been a little more wary lol). She started to musk a TINY bit then realised she actually liked being handled so stopped. This is one of the most placid and easy going snakes I've come across!

But she is skin and bones. Hardly suprising with no heat and no food for 3 or more months!

There is SO MUCH INFO out there what are people thinking by buying an animal and letting it starve? Fear once again mistaken for aggression. Its a 18 inch king ffs. How bad could the bit be that made him neglect the snake?

People amaze me at times! :evil:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Mental.

I can't beleive the idiots actually thought that a snake would be okay at room temps??

Do they actually know snakes are cold blooded??

People like this should not be allowed to keep pets if they are not willing to learn about them. How long does it take to read and remember a care sheet?? 10 minutes?

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Good thing she asked for advice really, rather then going on what she had been told about the care!

Hopefully it will start to thrive, and thank heavens for being given up!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Seems to be yet another person been misinformed by the place that they bought the animal.

Good to know that they found some correct advice before it was too late.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.