Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Wurtle to the vet today.
He removed the dead bits of shell and had a good look. The area isn't too soft and the bone is a good white-pinkish colour so he thinks it's not too serious, however there is certainly some infection there. There is some evidence it may have spread slightly as the area above is a bit cracked, though he wasn't 100% sure that was a result of infection.
To be on the safe side Wurtle's on a 3 week course of antibiotics (Ceftazidime) - by injection, every 3 days. He also told me to bathe the area daily with betadine and then, just to protect it at this stage, to cover it lightly with a square of melolin and co-flex (just to stop dirt etc getting in there). I'll bring him back to the vet in 3 weeks (unless there are probs before then of course) and at that point he will either take an x-ray to check if there is any evidence of wider spread osteomylitis (sp?) or if it seems to be healed up he will cover the area with fibreglass to prevent a recurrence. If it has spread then he may require surgery but at the moment the vet thinks it will be ok. The covering with fibreglass will obviously not take place until he's confident the infection is 100% cleared up.

All in all I'm very pleased with the outcome (in the circumstances). I'm glad I woke him up from hibernation and that he's getting treatment he needs. He was his usual self at the vets - very grumpy, so that's a good sign. He's not eating huge amounts yet but he is nibbling at things and particularly when I hand feed him he seems to take whatever I offer so fingers crossed he's going to be fine :)

Thanks again to everyone that offered me advice and support :2thumb:

Here he is looking sorry for himself :)

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
I thought the practice these days was to let the shell heal naturally, unless the damage was severe?
But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the practice these days was to let the shell heal naturally, unless the damage was severe?
But I could be wrong.
I'm not sure but the area that got infected was definitely an old wound that had been there for a while so I guess the vet thought it would be best to seal it up, once it had healed and was free from infection. Not sure to be honest. Given the location and the likelihood of him opening it up again then I'm happy to go with the fibreglass on the plastron (it won't be much afterall) as long as it won't do any harm. The vet was very clear that he wouldn't dream of doing it if there was any chance there was still any infection present.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad he is on the mend!
sure he will make a speedy recovery,i bet your at ease a little now too,
Thanks :) Yes - such a relief! I feel so much better now I know he's being treated.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I'm not sure but the area that got infected was definitely an old wound that had been there for a while so I guess the vet thought it would be best to seal it up, once it had healed and was free from infection. Not sure to be honest. Given the location and the likelihood of him opening it up again then I'm happy to go with the fibreglass on the plastron (it won't be much afterall) as long as it won't do any harm. The vet was very clear that he wouldn't dream of doing it if there was any chance there was still any infection present.

Fibreglass is not the sealant of choice nowadays to be honest as it has a tendency to crack during movement. There is a newer more fexible sealant that 'gives' and so prevents re-infection, especially for plastron splits. I have forgotten the name off the top of my head but will try to find out.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
You definatley made the right decision waking Wurtle up then Nancy - I am sure the A/B will soon get rid of any infection and he will feel better soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reduced appetite he will still have slowed down even though he's wake ( if that makes sense).

My Leopards definately eat a lot less through the colder/ darker months.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most vets now suggest not covering wounds but to remove substrate and use puppy pads until healing has taken place. I hope the vet mentioned the dilution of betadine too for torts use.

Yes the vet did mention diluting it - sorry I should have said that. He was very clear on that and I was doing that anyway. I think he wouldn't have covered it if it wasn't on the plastron. I have no idea what a puppy pad is I'm afraid so not sure about that.

Fibreglass is not the sealant of choice nowadays to be honest as it has a tendency to crack during movement. There is a newer more fexible sealant that 'gives' and so prevents re-infection, especially for plastron splits. I have forgotten the name off the top of my head but will try to find out.
Thanks - do let me know and I'll mention it to the vet. I think maybe because of the position and size of the wound that might be why he suggested it. It really is a tiny little area - the open area itself is maybe 1cm by 0.5 cm so perhaps that is why he suggested fibreglass?
Or perhaps he used the term fibreglass in a more generic way i.e. meaning some sort of synthetic shell substitute. Clearly I'll discuss it in more detail with him later but it would be great to know what the sealant currently recommended is.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You definatley made the right decision waking Wurtle up then Nancy - I am sure the A/B will soon get rid of any infection and he will feel better soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reduced appetite he will still have slowed down even though he's wake ( if that makes sense).

My Leopards definately eat a lot less through the colder/ darker months.

He actually ate a reasonable amount this evening but will only eat if I hand feed him - seems unwilling to find the food himself but as you say I'm sure the lack of daylight is also affecting him. I've ordered a new combi lamp and a clamp lamp to use it with but it arrived broken (again!) so hopefully the replacement will arrive tomorrow :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can you provide a link to the other thread where the first part of this story is?

Out of curiosity, why did you start a new thread instead of keeping all the information in one thread?

I hope all works out. I recently acquired a Horsfield and I believe he has had a case of shell rot that might still be active. I'm working on getting some pics up and taking him to some knowledgeable people tomorrow. Sadly, not a vet, because any vet in Las Vegas that claims to have tortoise expertise is probably not trustworthy (hell, ANY vet in vegas isn't trustworthy most likely) and any vet that IS trustworthy and specializes in torts will be so outrageously priced it's not even the funny.
Businesses in Vegas cater to tourists and yes, that even includes vets.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
not sure if this is an option, but the mods should merge this thread with the old one. it contains alot of really good info that will certainly be googled for in the near future by lord knows how many new keepers.

it however saddened me, as I now believe my newly acquired (actually "rescued" would be the proper term) might have something serious going on and i'm afraid a costly vet visit is inevitable. I live in a very transient town in the states where nobody is interesting in anything other than gambling, tourist money, drugs or more gambling :( I'm afraid no vets would be trustworthy here

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
not sure if this is an option, but the mods should merge this thread with the old one. it contains alot of really good info that will certainly be googled for in the near future by lord knows how many new keepers.

it however saddened me, as I now believe my newly acquired (actually "rescued" would be the proper term) might have something serious going on and i'm afraid a costly vet visit is inevitable. I live in a very transient town in the states where nobody is interesting in anything other than gambling, tourist money, drugs or more gambling :( I'm afraid no vets would be trustworthy here
The forum has a 'tag search' (scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see it) so if the original or this thread is found and more information on the same is needed then the viewer only needs to do a tag search to find other threads of the same nature. Anyone can add tags and this and the original thread already have some. Similarly a google search would bring up a link to more than one thread. No threads are deleted from this forum so the link will always be there.

It is totally up to the OP how they wish to update people on their original thread... the majority of users will start a new thread rather than ressurect a thread which has had no replies for a few days (or in some cases a few months).

There is a large tortoise keeping community in the US so I'm sure someone on some American forum could give you recommendations of reputable vets in your area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The forum has a 'tag search' (scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see it) so if the original or this thread is found and more information on the same is needed then the viewer only needs to do a tag search to find other threads of the same nature. Anyone can add tags and this and the original thread already have some. Similarly a google search would bring up a link to more than one thread. No threads are deleted from this forum so the link will always be there.
oh. :blush:i feel dumb now. thanks for the tip though.

There is a large tortoise keeping community in the US so I'm sure someone on some American forum could give you recommendations of reputable vets in your area.
but then I wouldn't be getting my advice from the best place...and if my tort found out I was slacking off, I'd never hear the end of it...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tina and loogielv and goodluck with your tortoise loogielv. I really hope he's ok.

I should have linked to my previous thread - sorry :) just didn't want to make the old one too unwieldy and thought it would be better to start a new one with the update - sorry :blush:

The lamp is now up and running - replacement arrived today and wasn't broken this time (though I do wonder sometimes about people - the first one arrived broken, I explained it to them and sent it back, so they send a replacement packed in EXACTLY the same way.... thankfully this time it arrived intact but more by luck than design!).

Wurtle's perked up no end with the new lamp. He's almost like his old self - stomping around, following me when I walk past the table, responding etc and he fed himself today! woohoo! He's also not enjoying the betadine bathing now and is fighting back at full strength so it takes two of us now to get the bandage on - but that's great as far as I'm concerned :no1:

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Thats great news Nancy ... thats your peace shattered for the rest of the hibernation period !!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats great news Nancy ... thats your peace shattered for the rest of the hibernation period !!!
My thoughts exactly! :lol2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts