Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby corn snake has went missing!! :(.
I've had him for a month and half and he's somehow escaped!!
I'm worried ill never get him back.
The tank is in my spare room next to a cupboard that is under the stairs. I'm afraid he's gotten under the floorboards and I'll never see him again.

I love the wee guy and soo worried!!

Is there any advice you guys could give me!?

Cheers!!

Also. merry Christmas.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I know this is a light-hearted post that I made after my corn snake Moxy decided to make a break for it one night, but I think it might still be helpful in helping you find your lost little bundle of scales.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/915558-curious-case-missing-moxy-night.html

Check all obvious places first.
Think of places that when you've let them slither free under supervision that they make a bee-line for.
Is he an active snake or a lazy snake. ( I have both.) in which case you can guess how far they have likely traveled in their missing time frame.
If still at loss divide your home in to metre squares and thoroughly examine each and every one and everything in them until you find your missing pal. You'll be surprised where they can end up. From personal experience I found my first snake escapee in the body of a battery-less torch in a toy draw and my second in the lining of a zipped up suitcase.
If you think he's under the floor boards check out all entry points such as radiator pipes etc and think if he could of forced himself through them. It was only after I'd found my little bugger that I realised he would never have fitted under door ways and through central heating pipe holes. But panicking always makes you think the worst.
Hope this post helps and you find the little blighter!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I find a good way of recovering lost snakes is to put a heat mat out covered in a towel (measure it to make sure it's the same as his basking spot). Put a hide on the towel, then just leave it. Odds are he'll get chilly and head for the warmth.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Leave food in the middle of the room for him and sit guard

·
Registered
546 Posts
Heat and food in a short but check the link out and hope he comes back soon I had a friend who lost 2 adult corns for over a year but got them both back within a few weeks of each other

Hope you find yours quicker though

Good luck

·
Registered
742 Posts
Same happened with a kingsnake I used to have, he was gone for 6 weeks and I'd lost hope then my brother found it under the kitchen radiator, appart from being hungry and thirsty and extremely aggressive he was ok, try leaving your corns viv on the floor with the door open and put pinkies in it and check often. All the best on finding your corn

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'll try a bit of everything you all said. I have no food until tomorrow though annoyingly :/.
I'm just freaking out because the high likely-hood is that he is in the cupboard and if he is ill never get him. He's quite an active snake tbh.

I'm so worried :(

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Same happened with a kingsnake I used to have, he was gone for 6 weeks and I'd lost hope then my brother found it under the kitchen radiator, appart from being hungry and thirsty and extremely aggressive he was ok, try leaving your corns viv on the floor with the door open and put pinkies in it and check often. All the best on finding your corn
I likewise lost one and after relentlessly searching the house my mate Roseanna (off here) saw him peeking from under a radiator just metres from his enclosure. There is a good chance the little scamp will come back out of hiding once the dust has settled.

Hope you find him; I know first hand how stressful it into lose one.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Any luck mate?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet. I set the trap up that's in the first reply to this post by Lexi. Put some food in it and set it up last night. Nothing yet. But I have hope!! I'll post a pic up of the trap set up.

·
Full Time Mother of Fourteen.
5,577 Posts
Marclogan89 said:
Not yet. I set the trap up that's in the first reply to this post by Lexi. Put some food in it and set it up last night. Nothing yet. But I have hope!! I'll post a pic up of the trap set up.
Try the heatmat, towel and hide trick too, that's a great one, especially at this cold time of year, you'd be surprised where snakes find warmth though. Keep your chin up, I'm sure he'll appear eventually.

Posted from Reptileforums.co.uk App for Android

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
Escaped snakes can turn up in the weirdest of places, I remember reading a thread on another forum, someone had an escaped snake and it turned up slithering out of their toaster in the kitchen, make sure you check your toaster before using it, your snake may have made it to the kitchen.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Might want to check in the vents. My rubber boa just escaped a few days ago, and we found her at 4am when she peeked her head out of a floor vent...

Unfortunately my other snake has escaped before too and both times he was in the nearest possible hiding space.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No news I'm afraid guys.
I have a heat mat on the floor with some kitchen towels on it and some hides.
I also have a trap set up with a fuzzy in it. But he hasn't touched it :(. It's been there two days... Should I remove the fuzzie and replace it??

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would - be sure to brain this one to encourage him to smell it out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts