Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hello all how many coats of yacht varnish should I put on my viv??

Depends whether it will be in contact with water (humidity) constantly or not. I suggest solid wood 2/3 coats, ply 4/5 coats, mdf 5/6 coats. With mdf do a very liberal first coat at half strength (thinned). This will allow the mdf to soak up quite a lot.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
liquid rubber

looks much better and cheeper

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Also depends what yacht varnish it is, the stuff sold in most DIY and hardware stores is very different to the brands sold in proper chandlers, real yacht varnish is expensive, but far more durable than the cheap stuff labelled "yacht varnish" in B&Q etc..., and it covers much better so you need fewer coats.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Which liquid rubber do you use? Cheers

I saw a video on youtube of a guy making his own huge aquarium out of wood and sealing the inside with liquid rubber its just like paint but dry's as rubber and is totally water proof after a few coats. just google liquid rubber loads of brand come up.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Well I work in a Diy shop in poynton south manchester and we sell everything but I didn't realise liquid rubber could be used! I make all my vivs from equipment we stock at work! If anyone needs anything and your in this area pop in and see me we can sort you out! Cheers for the advice!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers all someone has started using 2 pack epoxy floor paint they say its bang on so I will try that too at some point...

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Epoxy is by far the best product IMO, the only coating that will definitely stand up to any amount of water you care to throw at it, for permanent immersion I would trust nothing else.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Also depends what yacht varnish it is, the stuff sold in most DIY and hardware stores is very different to the brands sold in proper chandlers, real yacht varnish is expensive, but far more durable than the cheap stuff labelled "yacht varnish" in B&Q etc..., and it covers much better so you need fewer coats.
It also contains an active fungicide so IMO is not suited to use on vivs.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
quite a few guys on youtube seem to use this liquid rubber stuff to seal their wooden tanks. and i mean 500 gallon plus monster tanks. looks like great stuff you just paint it on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts