Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my male beardie finally mated with my female!! when she lays eggs we are throwing the first clutch away as we are on holiday when they would be due to hatch, but im just happy that hes finally done it!! should be some babies for sale soon:) cant wait!! also, how long do they mate for? as he did it for about five mins then just sat on top of her for ten mins, is this normal??

thanks,

luke

·
Registered
103 Posts
aww, maybe someone can take the eggs off your hands? that would be a shame to chuck them. congrats tho

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
First clutches are often infertile but you could always incubate them for a few weeks at first to see if they are or not. If they are, then throw them.. if not.. Someone on here would happily watch them for you I'm sure.

Just remember, if you do throw away a clutch of eggs, you must freeze them first as you dont want summer temps to cook them.

Also, she hasn't even laid yet so how do you know they will hatch when you're on holiday :?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First clutches are often infertile but you could always incubate them for a few weeks at first to see if they are or not. If they are, then throw them.. if not.. Someone on here would happily watch them for you I'm sure.

Just remember, if you do throw away a clutch of eggs, you must freeze them first as you dont want summer temps to cook them.

Also, she hasn't even laid yet so how do you know they will hatch when you're on holiday :?
because i worked it out, we go on holiday in 12 weeks, takes 4 weeks after mating to lay, then 6 weeks to hatch! so thats just about when we go on holiday, and yeah we would freeze them:)

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, but were just gonna wait until we get back untill we start hatching any, thanks for offering though:) if anyone wants the eggs to keep then ill think about giving them away though, but only the first clutch:)

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for offering though:) i appreciate it:)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
because i worked it out, we go on holiday in 12 weeks, takes 4 weeks after mating to lay, then 6 weeks to hatch! so thats just about when we go on holiday, and yeah we would freeze them:)
they can lay as early as 2 weeks after mating and they can take a lot longer then 42 days to hatch

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well anyway it turns out he hadnt mated with her! he was just showing a bit of dominance over her:(

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah but you said they always bite when they mate, he just lyed on top of her:) no biting or anything:)

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
yeah but you said they always bite when they mate, he just lyed on top of her:) no biting or anything:)
Unless you've been secretly watching them 24/7 you don't know that for certain...

I also said that I've never seen a mating happen without the male holding on to the back of her head. I'm sure far stranger things have happened in this world than a male managing to mate without biting... I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok:) well im prepared for eggs anyway:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts