Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
At one year, I would not expect a properly fed boa to be over 3ft. Of course, there are exceptions, however accelerated growth in early life can lead to significant issues down the line (e.g. early death due to excess fat accumulation on the liver), pinheading, etc.

All of my yearling hold backs range in size from 2 to 3ft depending on sex and locality. The Colombians are at the upper end of this. However, I also have adult male Colombians that are 4ft in length. I feed them once every 3 to 4 weeks and they thrive. Females are fed every 2 weeks, and babies every 10 days. All of my snakes get a month to two months with no food around October/November time. I do this as food is not constantly available in the wild. It is cyclical in its availability and thus is a key component to animals health. It is a period when excess fat accumulated during the year is converted to muscle.

Warren

·
Registered
726 Posts
As my female boa, Lucy, is a year old at the end of May, I thought I would ask people how long their female and male boas were at that age.

Currently Lucy is 4 foot 6 inches and strike feeds on medium rats every 7-10 days. I have been very careful not to over feed her and have tried to keep her on medium rats for the last 3 months, but now I think is the time to put her on large rats.

Do I have a monster on my hands? :lol2:

She is a big softy and still thinks that she can hide in my hair as she did when she was a foot long teeny tiny baby.

:2thumb:
I know all boas are different so I am very curious about how long everyones was at a year old and how long they are now.
She's gonna be a big un! Our male is 4ft and 1 and half years old :flrt:

·
Registered
1 Posts
holly cr*p either i have small snakes or all yours are on steroid's LOL mine is just over 2ft
that's what I am thinking. My male is a little over a year old and is only about 3 feet and he's a string bean. Ive been feeding him every 2 weeks and he gets fed an adult mouse. Now I think I'm doing something wrong..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.