Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iw as wonderen could people share some experiance with me about yellow anacondas and prices

thanks

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
On the whole many keepers will say they're quite unpredictable and are stubborn to grow out of it. I have one that's not too bad, got given it from a friend who bought it for about £40 I think. I remember seeing them available at Doncaster last year for only £45.

Husbandry is pretty basic, I keep them the same as my greens, which is 84/86F "hot spot" and around 76 to 80F ambient temps. I think they are a little more hardy in regards to lower temps than greens in the wild, but mine seems to be thriving in the above temperature ranges, in a RUB setup.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have had a couple over the years and each was as nuts as the last. They dont nic name them "chainsaws" for nothing...LOL. I do know 2 herpers here though that have 3 large animals and each are handleable to a degree. Unpredictability I think remains with most of them throughout life. They are also usually cheap as chips to buy because of this reason.

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
I have had a couple over the years and each was as nuts as the last. They dont nic name them "chainsaws" for nothing...LOL. I do know 2 herpers here though that have 3 large animals and each are handleable to a degree. Unpredictability I think remains with most of them throughout life. They are also usually cheap as chips to buy because of this reason.
Made me chuckle when I was reading care sheets on these guys before I bought mine.

A variable species that can be either kitten tame or a spastic chainsaw serpent
Isn't the rule of thumb with the yellows:

Tolerant as a baby, tolerant as an adult
Wild and mad as a baby, you're going down as an adult!

Very little middle ground?

Anyways, this is one of the care sheets that I thought was quite informative, even for a US one.

New England Reptile Distributors, designer Ball Pythons, Reticulated Pythons, and much more!

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
I'm at work so excuse my lazyness but how big do these guys get??
Males 6-8 feet
Females up to 14 feet, usually 10-12 though.

Not that big in terms of big snakes but much smaller than the greens hence why I chose the (male*) yellow.

*Even if he turns out to be a she, still not a huge difference unlike the female greens getting to 17+ feet.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Males 6-8 feet
Females up to 14 feet, usually 10-12 though.

Not that big in terms of big snakes but much smaller than the greens hence why I chose the (male*) yellow.

*Even if he turns out to be a she, still not a huge difference unlike the female greens getting to 17+ feet.
Cheers, I don't blame you either. A friend of mine has a green and it is a big, angry lump of a thing.

The yellows seem a bit more manageable but I can imagine their still quite a bit of work on cleaning day

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
Cheers, I don't blame you either. A friend of mine has a green and it is a big, angry lump of a thing.

The yellows seem a bit more manageable but I can imagine their still quite a bit of work on cleaning day
I haven't wuite figured what to do when I need to clean out mine when he's bigger. Yellows according to some on the net dont like small containers and bags? Let him loose around the house, ok if he's tolerant but of not that could be very interesting if he hides and doesn't want to come out again. Maybe I could lure him out with one of the kids?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I haven't wuite figured what to do when I need to clean out mine when he's bigger. Yellows according to some on the net dont like small containers and bags? Let him loose around the house, ok if he's tolerant but of not that could be very interesting if he hides and doesn't want to come out again. Maybe I could lure him out with one of the kids?
Yeah. I can imagine that will be a bit of a knightmare. I have enough trouble with the big boa's when the head for the table legs.

Nothing like a scared child to lure them out with though :lol2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I like yellows. Despite stinking the place out when they dump they are a good on your toes challenge. Some people have soft ones but mine is far from it. Shes jumpy, bitey and wriggles a lot. The odd time when she is good though shes brilliant to handle and moves around a lot out of the tank.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Id rather have a male green than any yellow, much easier to interact with i've found.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Depends what you want really, a green male will top out at a similar size to a yellow female. The male green generally will be much better to deal with if you want a puppy but the yellow will be more exciting.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Yellow's are awesome! there great snakes to keep yo get docile ones and you get unpredictable ones they should neve be trusted just like all snakes in that size range they tend to remain neovus and unpredictable i they are like that has neonates and docile neonates tend to remain docile although they can be "tamed" down to an extent but would never put my trust in them.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
They can also eat underwater which is something to be seen to be fair.

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They can also eat underwater which is something to be seen to be fair.

they do seem like a good snake to get, iv had snakes for over a year now, and was thinking about getten a boa or a yellow anaconda, but yellow anacondas seem more my type

what size of viv would be best for one of these?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I loved my yellow anaconda's, I miss my big girl a lot :(
Amazing feeding response, a lovely attitude on her aswel..!

Really amazing snakes though, the unpredictability of them is part of their charm in my opinion. Plus the fact that anaconda's are the prettiest species ever!

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
they do seem like a good snake to get, iv had snakes for over a year now, and was thinking about getten a boa or a yellow anaconda, but yellow anacondas seem more my type

what size of viv would be best for one of these?
A yellow anaconda is nothing like a boa in terms of personality. My boas are like puppies and my anaconda isnt. This makes them both great for their own reasons. I find the yellow more interesting and a lot more of a challenge. However she stinks the place out with musk and piss on a bad day and bites a lot. However when she isnt in this state, you truly appreciate her niceness whereas with my boas I know I could leather them around the house and they wouldnt even hiss so you take them for granted a bit. Get a young yellow and you wont go far wrong man. Alternatively get a yellow anaconda and a bcc and make your own mind up. Both would live for years in a 4 x 2 viv. Mine are soon due to move upto a 4x4x2 in the near future as they are getting large.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.