Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the reptile Scene, purchased to yellow bellies for my 18th Bday. I assume only young, no more than 2.5 inches long at the mo. Was wandering if anyone had any tips for keeping these gorgous things. MY only major worry is feeding, I was told feed them once every two days for 45mins as much as they can eat. Then another source told me twice daily sparingly. Anyone can help me with this please PM me. Thx

* Also interested to know if anyone here who has an idea of turtles lives within the Sutton/Birmingham Region. Like i said, was given as present, and i'm not V clued up about this. Although i used to help my cousin keep 9 bearded dragons and an Eguana when i was younger. *

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I kept a few YB Sliders a few years back. I had to downgrade, so i got rid of them (actually 1 died of an infection that wasn't caught in time only a week after I bought him home).

The tops tips I can advise towards is:

1. Keep the water warm and moving. Not hot and don't lt it go stagnant.
2. Make sure that they have a good spot that is dry.

If they dont have these, then your YBS will not be happy. In regards to #2, if they stay wet all the time, they may get some kind of skin rot. This is not cool and could possibly lead to shell rot.

In regards to feeding, I usually left them for an hour with the pellets before I fished the stuff out. I also fed daily... worked for me.

For a while anyway...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1st off, Thanks to you both for giving me advise/links. The link seemed more directly at bigger torts tho i dont know. I just got back from work and am going to look into these a little more. Simon, what kind of thing did you feed yours? At the mo im using "King British- Turtle & Terrapin complete food" It's wat the shop owner gave to parents (they also not very clued up but i think between us we know more than the pet shop owner at the mo :cry: )
Im estatic with these as a present and I want to keep going with this kind of pet. but my Tank is only small. i THINK i have all the basics, decent UV light, Heater and small Filter. Mass rock with dry spot for them both on. 2 smaller rocks also, am going to get the gravel for bottom of tank this week (probs tomorrow) like i said, total newb to these things any tips or extras i shud have on my tank, plz let me know guys i am dedicated to animals lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guys if there is any YBS "experts" out there that wudnt mind taking sumtime to explain things to me, plz let me know ASAP, PM me reply to this thread i dont care. I have MSN it wud probably be easier to speak on it. And plz dnt think i am jus not serious enough to find local places where i can get info, its 10pm here, i never realised til i found this site how much caring etc these need and now i wna make a good home for em so plzzzzz help me. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi there, gravel can cause all sorts of problems with turts so if poss i would avoid, its better to go bare bottem as its easier to keep clean aswell! Reptomin is a good alround food but you will have to add abit of variaty ie Romaine (sp) lettuce, prawns, mussels etc cuttlebone is also good for calcium (its for birds but my turts love it) :) Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replying ! All this info is genuinly being taken in, always wanting more though. Also, im sure im not the only 1 from Birmingham ... am i :shock: if not, if anyone knows sum decent reptile shops and stuff i cud go check out for more info AROUND the sutton coldfield and such area, plz lemme know cuz the guy at pet store parent went to = %^$%^&^%$%*£"

Thanks again (spam my own topic cuz im bored and tired but watching my lil fellas swimming :p

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Numin said:
Simon, what kind of thing did you feed yours? At the mo im using "King British- Turtle & Terrapin complete food"
I used a different food but cant remember the make but probably very similar, but don't forget they can eat small meal worms as a source of protein. Don't over do it on the mealies though :)

It may be worth getting yourself a book or two. There are plenty of good ones on Amazon. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply buddy, I am working out a varied food set for these guys now, using some greens, some meat, and sum of this dryed food i have, Ive happened to have found a few great sources of info which have helped me greatly but your opinions always helpful and considered too, Thanks again for replying and letting me know, i might just invest in a few books :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good stuff. Sounds like they'll do well with you :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope so mate :) Their hatclings at the mo, i intend on letting people know how successful i am with these since i started with wreong setup an info, it'll kinda be like feedback of how great the info from this place is, and im 110% positive that it'll turn out awesome :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts