Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Following my thread the other day, these are the best pictures i can get of her colour.

She is hiding alot at the monent - or she'll face me and do that mimic thing so she is always facing me (which she was doing in these pics)

So, what do you think? Gravid or Receptive?

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
its possible she could be gravid. these chams lay weather theyv been mated or not. sometimes up to 3 times a year. is she housed with another male or has she been in contact recently with a male?have you got anything in the bottom of the enclosure for her to lay in, its best at all times to have something like that. i have a box of wet sand about 7-8 inches deep, they like to dig down a bit and lay them, if they dont have this then they will hold onto there eggs and they can become eggbound and die

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

No she hasnt been with a male but she is about old enough to lay anyway. I have a large flower pot in there for her but she hasnt been near it. (with 1/2 soil 1/2 sand)

She has been a bit restless recently - i keep finding her all over the place in her viv and she isnt sleeping in her usual place.

I have just been in to check on her and she is walking along the bottom of her viv - i have never seen her do that before!

:gasp:

She is still eating and drinking fine though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i take it nothing else has changed recently, viv been moved at all or anything? are her poos ok? is she generally nice and bright and green? temps ok? basking u generally want about 95f and 75f min elsewhere.
mine generally sleeps wherever she is wen the light gos off. its a natural thing for them to hide quite a lot. mine also sometimes goes on the bottom of her viv. but if this is out of the ordinary for yours then its worth keeping an eye on, chams are very good at hiding if theres any problems with them from potential preditors (which seems to be everything in there eyes) also, how old is her uv light? she might not be getting enough. they only last about 6 months before the coating stops working and they need replacing. ur lookin 5% as a minimum, i use 8 or 10% generally.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
She may be receptive. Lily was always restless when she was too. Wandering around and wanting out all the time and not interested in food either! You say she has been going to the bottom - they usually do this when they are looking for a suitable laying place.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No nothing else has changed at all. All her temps are fine and i had her UV checked about a week ago - it was 6%. Her poos are fine and she is lime green - she shed abit the other day but didnt shed completely - but she does that sometimes.

I have never ever seen her at the bottom of her viv before.

Anyway, i popped out and bought a different laying bin for her. It covers about 3/4 of the viv floor and is about 5inches deep. So ive filled that and put it in there. Plus placed her plants around it so its nice and private.

She has gone straight down to it and is wandering around in it now - hasnt started digging yet so maybe she is just exploring?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
she looks very receptive,i would say your laying bucket/bin is alittle too shallow,it needs to be at least 8-12 inches deep to allow them to dig a tunnel,

hope this helps

graeme

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I would say receptive too :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She has had those colours for about 5 days ish now - i thought receptive too origionally.

Today was the first time though that she went down to the bottom of her viv - she was down there for a while pottering about too. Which makes me think maybe she is gravid.

She is my first cham so im finding im extremely paranoid about whether everything is ok for her to lay (if she is gravid).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts