Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to every1. I have had 2 baby yemen chameleons male and female, in the same viv for about 3 weeks now since i bought them. I have just really noticed that both chameleons seem to have spurs from their heels. I know that the male should only have this but the female does to. I bought bothj from a specialized shop and i think they have sold me 2 male chameleons lol. Also i have bought a 100gallon flexarium and i want to know what is the best heating to get in there as i have tried and can get 65 at the most!
please help many thanks tom.:cry:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
if the both have tarsal spurs the they are both males and whoever sold them to to you did not sex them properly...
flexariums are not great for holding the heat...not in winter..they need to be kept in a room witha temp of 75F in order to maintain the heat...a basking spot with a 100 watt bulb should raise the spot to about 90F which is fine if the ambient temp is above 70F however optimum temp is 84F

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thnx for the reply will have to ring up the pet shop and see what they have to say. And they call thereselves specialized

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they also seem to be getting on fine at the moment, but the big male one ( i told was a female) seems to hiss alot when i go to get her/him out. so i will have to see how they are going

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
the males will..even when babies they are less friendly! how old are they? are they showing colours yet or still green? you cannot keep two males once any sign of markings show..they should really be split at about 8 weeks..but at a push can be kept till they start to get their 'stripes'..have a word with the pet shop and get a female if you want one..make sure it has no spurs before you bring it home! they are easy to sex straight from the egg so there should be no mistakes!!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
erm the smallest one that i know is a male for sure, he stays green alot but does show black dots and brown markings. The bigger one stays browns quite alot but does go green when asleep or when his/shes out. thanks

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
least they aren't showing colours yet then...i would have a word with the shop...they made the mistake they will have to rectify it!!:)

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the only other problem is that i didnt get a reciept or anything so, if they descide to they can say they have never seen me before?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
they could but i don't think they would...wouldn't be good for their reputation! at the end of the day they sold you a rep that was the wrong sex and it won't cause them any problems to swap for a female. you are going to be providing them with custom in the form of bulbs equipment and food so would be in their best interests to swap..

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok many thanks for all your replys, will ring shop up first thing tomorrow and see what they have to say, i wouldn't like to depart with one of them as i have already got to like them, but if i have to i have to. many thanks again tom.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
TBH its pretty impressive that a reputable shop has sold you 2 males.. Chameleons have to be one of the easiest things to sex!

I'd be surprised if they didn't take one back, but if they don't a swift I'll name & shame you all over the web might do it... Its not on selling a first time cham owner 2 males

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
belive me if they arnt swapped i will be doing something about it. I don't know if anyone lives near dartford in kent. The shop is called living reef aquatics. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice shop but if they are 2 males i won't be too happy with them. They need to get there sexing techniques sorted out before they carry on i think. many thanks

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
arboreal lizards

lllol.....

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
so did u not go in today and get it sorted?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
can any one tell me some semi arboreal lizards, prefable ABDROREAL lizards, that coold go in a tank aroun 21x25x20, just ideas, i now it aint big but, can any thing go in atank that big, its LxHxD in them dimensions.
Cheers
Crested gecko

1 - 20 of 24 Posts