Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my female has just started digging she has layed eggs but wont use the box i have put in there what can i do

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it, at least she is laying. what is she laying them in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she is laying them in rainforest substrate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have compost in it and it is moist

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
all my lizards (no cham tho) lay there eggs in eco earth substate.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i really wouldn't worry bout it. like i said at least she is laying them.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
what she has only just started digging? how many eggs has she layed as they could be ones that she has pushed out because she is very gravid and can't hold anymore...

when she is ready to lay she will lay them all in one go and not one here and one there...she should have shown signs of digging about 3 days ago...when did you put in the sand box? how deep is it? and whereabouts in the viv is it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she started digging about 5 days ago i found 1 egg 2 days ago i have put in the tub with soil which is on the warmer end of the viv and today she has been digging non-stop

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
sounds about right..that egg may not be fertile as they tend to pop them out first...she is not laying it is just that her body cannot hold the eggs as she has soooo many...

soil will work but most keepers use sand as it tend to create better tunnels..how deep is the soil? it is not very likely that she will lay in the substrate she will just dig till she gets exhausted or gives up..

whilst she is digging you do not need to worry too much but she is due to lay very soon...i sometimes take the female and put her in a big plastic bucket with damp sand but this takes experience as you have to time it just right..

once again how deep is the soil? what is it in? have you put a means for her to get in there? and when was it put in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i put the tub it is an ice cream tub nearly full to the top i put the egg she layed in there she has easy access to it

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
would just take the egg out and put it in an incubator she won't care about it and it will not make her inclined to lay...

ice cream tub isn't deep enough..needs to be about a foot deep..also needs to be the correct moisture level and warmth...way to tell is to have a dig yourself (yes i know sounds odd) and see if you with her strength can dig a decent tunnel..she will want to get her whole body in it usually..

like so...

what i would suggest is tiping the soil out into a pile in one corner...make sure you have a good pile about a foot high..she should find it and dig to the corner where she will lay...

make sure you give her plenty of water and calcium at this time..is very important...in fact i cannot stress how important it is...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts