Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain what an open mouth indicates ? I am a little worried as after 1 week today janet has started to sit with her mouth open?
She is eating and drinking fine and i have noticed her occasionally sneeze when i have had her out. this is causing me some concern.

Thanks

paul

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It's very common for Veiled chameleons to gape when they are basking.

It is possible that it is to hot for her.
They will open their mouth when they are to hot, this allows the saliva to evaporate cooling the incoming air and thus cooling off their mid section.

Is he opening his mouth in the basking area???
What are your temperatures???
humidity???
Little veileds can not handle the heat like the adults can.

i found this on another site.....
Chameleons have salt glands in their nares (nostrils) to aid in removing excess salts from their bodies...often called "snalting" (sneezing + salt + snalt). If there are no other symptoms such as wheezing or labored breathing and thick stringy saliva then it's nothing to worry about. If those other symptoms are present, then a trip to the herp vet will be necessary for a possible antibiotic regimen.

·
Registered
36,627 Posts
Chester does this if he is a little too warm, he kinda sits with his mouth half open, then gives up and moves away from his basking light lol.
The sneezing thing is prob thier little bogies, Chester gets these he lets me wipe his face gently with some damp kitchen roll to wipe them off.....do not rub about if they are loose a gentle wipe will remove it, if not they will kinda sneeze it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts