Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i would like yes/no anwers on these Q's. This is my snakes first shed so:
1.Can i feed him the same or next day of a shed?
2.Can i put him in the bath for a lil swim next day of shed?(OVIOUSLY NOT A BIG BATH, DEEP just a lil swim in shallow water)
3.Do they like to be handled whilst shedding?

My little boa loves being handled.:)

snakeman
boa lover

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yes
yes, not too warm
not bothered

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Can i just say it would be better for him to bath when his eyes have cleared up before he sheds. It takes a lot of fluids for them to shed so the extra will do him a world of good.

Other than that, above post is just peachy :lol:

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS GUYS
i LOVE thi forum i get like instant replies, its great, with out this i would, hmm, nt be lost but it would take ages to find what i want.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Personally I wouldn't handle any of my snakes whle they are in the period of shedding because it's quite uncomfortable for them anyway, and wouldn't want to stress them too much. But that's just me personally :wink:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I figured it is worth stating that snakes don't 'like' to be handled full stop. They simply tolerate it. People may beg to differ, but that is my personal opinion, as my snakes aren't 'pets' to me. But anyhow, I tend to leave mine alone when they are blue, and handle them again after they have shed. I never bathe mine either, they all use moist hides, I find it is much less stressful, and at the end of the day, a fair few people bathe them for their own pleasure of seeing it swim rather than to help it hydrate itself and prepare for sloughing. I have always found that whenever putting a snake in the bath or sink, they get very stressed and it ends up being a bad thing rather than something good. The only snake I have ever put in the bath was a large burm, but thats because she could just sit in it rather than a little corn or royal floating on top and trying to get hold of something to help it stabilise itself and get out! But this is all just my personal experience and opinion, so don't take offence or anything :lol:

Like I say, my personal preference is to use moist hides, and misting, and that suits my snakes just fine. It all depends on the snake whether it likes to be bathed or not. Some species like to 'swim' others like to soak, and others like to avoid open water at all costs. Its all dependant on the species and the individual snake :lol:

With regard to feeding, I like to wait a day or two after shedding, as I like to see them settled down after a shed, what with the hands going into the vivs, faffing around getting all the decor back to how it should be etc. So I leave it a day or two :lol:

Hope your snakie sheds well, its always a good thing to know everything is working as it should be :lol: And glad you enjoy the forum :lol:

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
i don't handle my snakes when they are shedding. I feel thats its best to leave them alone. I do put a bigger water bowl in with them though so they can soak if they want to.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Feeding the next day after shedding is preferrable than the very day it happens.
No handling unless necessary,whatever the rep is,this is also my rule,as scarletvegetable pointed out with wisdom.
If a snake needs a bath,then it will find the path to the water dish.No need to give snakes baths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts