Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im about to have a 24" x 12" x 12" tank free and im thinking about what to put in it, any ideas?

Im happy to get something that will EVENTUALLY need a 36" tank, but i would like to stay around the three foot mark

G

·
In that case i would say sand boa,corn,king,milk snake or royal python.All would be fine in a 24" viv till they grow into a 3 foot barring the royal that would probably be happier in a 24" viv even when older

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i could definately keep a ball pyhton in a 24" viv, and it will continue to be comfortable until it dies?

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I agree with all the snakes Greenphase mentioned but a Royal is better being moved to a 3ft when older, I have a 3.5ft Royal and I wouldnt even consider putting him in a smaller viv than his 3ft. As for not very active my Royal is out more than my corns and there are 10 of them. :lol:

You could also consider a Western Hognose that is one snake that wouldnt need anything bigger. :D

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok cool, im still going to havea look into it, thanks for all the fast replies.
Anyone have any other Ideas?

G

·
When i had my Royal she was 1500 gramms and when i took her out of a 24" cube and put her in a 36x15x15 it stressed her out so much she went of her food.I then put her back in the old viv and she was fine and eating within 48 hours of the move.To me she really needed to be in the smaller viv all along

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Greenphase said:
When i had my Royal she was 1500 gramms and when i took her out of a 24" cube and put her in a 36x15x15 it stressed her out so much she went of her food.I then put her back in the old viv and she was fine and eating within 48 hours of the move.To me she really needed to be in the smaller viv all along
Hi greenphase :D

There are always the odd exception especially with royals :D , which bobby should take into account with some royals being funny feeders, but the majority of adults should be kept in bigger enclosures and this needs to be pointed out to bobby before he decides on what he wants as by his posts he hasnt a clue so far.

Bobby whartever you decide be it snake or lizard read up a few caresheets first. :wink:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
that size vivarium would be good for a royal all its life unless it was a exeptionally big one i keep my two royals in a 24"l18w"18h" and there quite happy

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
liam_rokocoko said:
samroyal2 said:
that size vivarium would be good for a royal all its life unless it was a exeptionally big one i keep my two royals in a 24"l18w"18h" and there quite happy
i disagree, i think that is far to small for an adult
i'm only going on what ive been told and my two are ony 5months old so i would say that was fine

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
samroyal2 said:
liam_rokocoko said:
samroyal2 said:
i'm only going on what ive been told and my two are ony 5months old so i would say that was fine
Its fine for 5 month old but not adult royals and especially 2 in your case sam. Get your head in the books and find one that says 24" for an adult Royal you will find min suggested is 30". I am talking adults not hatchlings. :lol:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
fazer600sy said:
samroyal2 said:
liam_rokocoko said:
samroyal2 said:
Its fine for 5 month old but not adult royals and especially 2 in your case sam. Get your head in the books and find one that says 24" for an adult Royal you will find min suggested is 30". I am talking adults not hatchlings. :lol:
my mistake read my book agian thats a minimum size for a young adult they recomend a 30' :oops:

·
Registered
597 Posts
i keep 8ft boa in 4ft cage, 48x24x12 those are exact measurements

i wanted it bigger but i asked alot of boa breeders to make sure i had the correct size and everything, all of them said this size when i said isnt that alittle small they told me to try a bigger enclosure so i did and he was alot more aggressive when i put him in the bigger cage for some reason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree with Greenphase - a few months ago I moved my 3ft royal from a box to a 33"Lx18"W viv and I was lucky to get two decent feeds down him a month - also just would not strike feed in the viv whereas in the tub he did every time.

So last week I moved him to a 50L box, roughly 28"x15", and on sunday he took a jumbo mouse off the tongs within 2 secs - hit it like a ton of bricks.

So I'd say keep the enclosure on the small side - ok, a 24x12x12 tank is small, but if you get a royal let it get as large as possible in there and then move up very gradually, say up to a 30" viv max, as the next step.

It's no good giving a royal loads of room to excercise/climb if it's not going to feed - don't fall into the trap of automatically thinking a 4ft snake needs a 4ft viv to "stretch out". Much better to give it less room so that it feels secure, and feeds consistently - you can easily give a royal enough excercise through regular handling, once you know it's feeding confidently.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts