Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL, I thought it would be fun for everyone to read eachothers escape storys, so start writting!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Well i have crickets and baby locust running round my house but i guess the most entertaining story (entertaining for others not for me) was the other day when i was doing my usual morning spraying etc while eating my breakfast, I thought i dropped some cereal down my top, looked down my top to find a cricket in my t shirt! How rude! no idea how it got there!

·
Registered
171 Posts
My hamster raided my mealworm tub that had Aliens in a while back and last week raided another tub of live mealworms. Some escaped from her cage so keep finding mealies and Aliens aorund the bed room. I decided to let them all turn into Aliens instead of giving my Lizards them as I'm not sure if she has any bad things she can pass on.

I bought some Morios for the first time and left the lid off and out of her way. I didn't realise they could climb out of the tub. My nethew found two in his jeans when putting them on and wouldn't touch rest of his cloths so I went through them and found eight in his t-shirts.

I tried breeding crickets and couldn't see any holes in the soil and thought it had failed so just put it aside on the bathroom window. I saw a few week later tiny crickets jusping around, I tried to round as much up as possible. That was so hard, they were absoulty tiny.

I now have Cockroaches. If any of them ever escape I'll freak out. Not got used to them yet and found them really creepy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, that must've sucked!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I have had endless locust and cricket escapes but the one the scared the hell out of me the most was a locust which decided to chill out above my door. It was dark when I went into my room, as I walked into the room the bugger dive bombed me. I had no idea what it was just this large thing had landed on my head!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had a large black cricket in my shoe... I only just noticed it about 40 minutes ago. So now there is a squashed but still kicking black cricket around the floor of my office.... How it survived (or how i didnt notice) its a mystery!!!

I also tend to find locusts in my bed. That annoys the Mrs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Had a cricket on my head for a while that I didnt even know was there, only knew after my mum pointed it out lol.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Waking up to a nice big brown cricket sat on your pillow watching you in never fun :( I still can't touch the browns years later -shudder-

·
Registered
118 Posts
I brought some brown crickets for my chams and had a few escapees but about 1 hour ago found a MASSIVE black cricket running around the enclosure area (never brought black crickets in my life) and freaked out as i HATE black crickets with a passion as i hear they bite..Have no idea how it had survived..caught it and got it in a tub but no idea what to do with the thing :( cant feed to my cham as it is way too big..worried now and will not be able to sleep due to thinking more black crickets in the house lol..

·
Registered
416 Posts
I split one of my roach colonies about a year ago sorting all the large nymphs into a new tub... went away for the weekend.
Came back to find around 20 under the tub :gasp: For the next few weeks I found about 5 large roaches a day. Trying my hardest to hide the findings from my gf!

Worst one was in the middle of the night... Woke up to a scuttling noise on the pillow right under my ear... Slammed my hand down in the pitch black to find a huge roach!! Freaky!

Alister

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
my cat knocked over a huge RUB with crickets in, still finding them today.got the hoover ontp them but most had gotten under the door and they come crawling out on a night and im sat with a shoe.. my missus thinks iv gone crazy because i shout "i got one hahaha!" at the top of my voice per kill..

still puzzles me how the door was opend to my little "pet" room

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
When I first started keepin exotic animals (over 10 years ago) I got myself a huge box of black crix as my local shop didnt have the nice silent browns i normally got...........I put them in the usaual storage place (above my clothes in the wardrobe on a shelf in the dark (i was told by a friend dark =`s quiet crix)

What I didnt notice was I had left the lid partly open.............woke up to blacks all over my room............finding them days latrer in the ball light fitting in the kitchen...on the stairs all over the house! I was not a very popular teenager

Now in my mid twenties and with my own place, o.h and daughter anything that escapses feeder-wise is met with a scream from the other half and a glare at me and "pick that :censor:ing thing up!!!!",
or my daughter who is 3 wondering over with said creature in her hand asking what she can feed it too or if it needs its own house (the own house request has in the past resulted in myself having to get a med size faunauirum for locusts and put hides, food, waterbowl etc in :blush::blush::blush:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
(the own house request has in the past resulted in myself having to get a med size faunauirum for locusts and put hides, food, waterbowl etc in :blush::blush::blush:)
Lol aww. <3 That's adorable!
I like locusts actually. They're pretty. I just try to deaden myself to it when our mantids are crunching them up :(

I've not had any worms escape yet (don't keep crix or anything) but once I forgot about a batch of waxworms in my cupboard and opened the tub and moths flew out O_O lol. Waxmoths have such cute faces, i let them all go out of the window.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Lol aww. <3 That's adorable!
I like locusts actually. They're pretty. I just try to deaden myself to it when our mantids are crunching them up :(

I've not had any worms escape yet (don't keep crix or anything) but once I forgot about a batch of waxworms in my cupboard and opened the tub and moths flew out O_O lol. Waxmoths have such cute faces, i let them all go out of the window.
Whereupon they promptly destroyed the local beekeeping industry...:whistling2:

Seriously, wax moths are a real menace to hives, they are really destructive.

It's mostly crickets in my place, all though I have found the odd mealworm under the rug. Any crickets that escape both the tub/tanks and the cat seem to end up in the bathroom, so they are easy enough to catch and feed to the nearest gaping frog mouth.:no1: This also happens to any moth, spider or crane fly that is stupid enough to drop in for a visit!

·
Registered
245 Posts
About 3 months ago now i bought 3 boxes of large brown crickets and put in a large cricket keeper, fed some to stewie n smiler. Came back one day to find the cricket keep on its side with the top open! No idea til this day how that happened but still hear the little buggers chirping and still finding them dead/alive now. One thing i dont get is why are they called 'silent' crickets??!!

The thing is aswell i live in a block of apartments so don't know if anyone else is my block has been having this problem :whistling2:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought a bag of 500 adult black crickets online the other week, when i received them i noticed that they were doubled bagged. i remember thinking, thats good, double bag no escapees!

a couple days later i walked into the dining room (where the beardie is) and looked at the bag, covered in about 6 massive crickets!

every time i walked into the room i had to round them up, sometimes 13 at a time!

one made its way into the kitchen and hid behind the cooker, really noisy!

ive had some manage to get outside, and in summer they hide in the plants and make a right racket, i can hear them outside from in side the house and up at the end of the road!

i feel bad for my neighbors when the crickets pack up their stuff and move into the next garden!

haha

·
Registered
252 Posts
When i first started keeping reptiles i had no idea with crickets and how to handle them (still not too good now :blush:)

I bought a big tub of the brown crickets (hate them, they jump the highest!) had no idea how to get them from the box into my little cricket keeper because i didnt want to just tip it in because the egg carton would go in too.

So i tipped the lot into a sainsburys bag, picked the egg carton out and shook it to get the crickets off it, tied a knot in the top of the bag. My plan was to cut a little hole at the bottom and put the bag into the cricket keeper and shake them out.

So i turned the bag upside down so i didnt accidental cut any crickets up. I squeezed the end together and cut it, school boy error! the hole was massive and as i turned the bag upside down again ready to tip them into my cricket keeper the whole lot spilled across the living room floor. Not one cricket went into the box.

I was not popular that day! :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
apart from the usuall stuff like them making a noise at night when your sat watching tv and then you go to kill them and when your so close they shut up.

my son took one to school in his book bag lol. he then opened it to his surprise and made all the girls scream lol.

thy other week i was at work and when i decided to make a roll-up one jumped out of my tobacco tin.. ha

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I generally find a few turkistan roach hatchlings in the kitchen every morning.

Also a while ago I was feeding the tiger hisser colony and forgot to replace the lid before I went to bed, I'm still finding them about 6 months later.
The best was when I heard my Wife screaming 'WHAT THE F**K IS THAT' from the bathroom, I ran through to find a huge 3" male tiger hisser sitting on the floor, I gently picked him up saying 'Come on wee man, I'll put you back in your house' while the OH was ranting something along the lines of 'wee man?...I nearly had a bloody heart attack!!!'
:lol2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts