Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Way to go Paul, my female did same thing, almost 19 years old and gave me 8 eggs this Spring, did lay 10 but 2 were no good off the bat and one died just before hatching... So got 7 nice lil baba's outta them, sold them all this week-end, kicking myself for not keeping least one...They were all such nice lil babies, ate right from get-go too... Was shocked they were even any good for how old she was though...
Steve

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oh wow 18 years old :D Happy birthday :D Good job Paul, She looks huge i dont think i have seen such a big one before... as all i have seen is from pet stores and such... so never see a pvt collection would love to one day.

Thats as old as me... :shock:

And 19 is older then me - Beckys_Dad98 lol

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She laid a cool 14 eggs 2 bad and all remaining 12 hatched fine, she is the only snake in the collection that will coil and protect her eggs with bluff strikes.

she is close on six feet long.

steve never give up on the oldies, iv always got bigger eggs and bigger babys from the olduns, and the female oldies dont dart of when a male approches like the youngsters do.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
wow thats amazing mate.
my oldest is a 16 year old male anery.
i dont breed females myself that old, i usually retire them around 10 as they have had 6/7 years breeding by then.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cornmorphs said:
wow thats amazing mate.
my oldest is a 16 year old male anery.
i dont breed females myself that old, i usually retire them around 10 as they have had 6/7 years breeding by then.

Nige i dont know why you dont carry on breeding them, even if they have had 6 to 7 years breeding.
if you are double or triple cluching your females, then i would agree.
if they are just producing 1 clutch per year then their should be no problems with females to carry on in that style for many years.
In the wild they will start very young sometimes at a length of about 15inch and carry on breeding right through there lives.

I know its everyone to their own, but it just seems weird as to why you would retire a females that young.

As long as a snake is in exellent health with great muscle tone and is willing to breed then they should be aloud to.

cheers

Paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts