Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Hi all, I'm sure your all familiar with **Edited**
(ATP) as i was looking round and saw Graham was registered so i know he knows the site

Anyway, to the point, i was surfing that forum and came across a few threads mentioning keeping turtles with certain fast fish eg. tiger barbs,certain Malawi's etc...
and was wandering what your opinions were with keeping fish with Map Turtles, False and Common Maps IP (in particular) as i was looking at their tank earlier and wandered if they could brighten up the tank, im thinking lots of plants, with some tiger barbs a bristlenose and a few corydoras or hoplo catfish, just wandering if this would be ok, have kept a lot of fish so not a worry for me on the keeping up with feeding, nitrite and nitrate etc... along with water changes more often

Just wandered about what you guys/girls thought

Thanks in advance all, John

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Hmm, I didn't even know I was registered on ATP, I don't remember doing that!

Anyway, considering what good swimmers all Maps are, and that they tend to be more carnivourous as adults than some other species such as sliders and cooters, I'd have thought that fish would stand less of a chance with them. That doesn't mean they will get eaten of course, you can only try, but I wouldn't recommend it if you care about the fish!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
must not have been you then mate, May try it, but not 100% sure yet, Cheers for the reply mate, John

·
Registered
577 Posts
id echo what graham said, if you dont really care about the fish then its a great way to brighten up the tank and tiger barbs are a good choice and will probably last better than most other species cos they are so quick,
i know its a different species (and hunting technique) all together but my alli snapper has never caught a tiger barb in the 2 months they've been in his tank, he's caught neons, guppies, angel fish, zebra danios and a whole host of other species but never a tiger barb so they must be doing something right,

anyway i dont know how well they'll fair against the relentless hunting of your maps but if any species will survive it, i'd bet it'd be tiger barbs

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the reply Kwiky, in the last ten mins i haave decided to go up to my local fish shop, and pick up 10-15 of the tiger barbs tuesday/wednesday and see how it goes, if it goes well i will then intriduce some other fast fish

Will let you all know how i get on then, John

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I just think its great people see fish as disposable items-"oh well they got eaten,lets buy some more their cheap". Disgusts me.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
That's why I don't keep fish with my turts, I have fish but I like them!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Berber King, i do love my fish, kept them well before my reptiles, but i was just wandering if they would be ok, i am going to experiment and see if there ok together, but this does not mean i do not love em!!

John

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I just think its great people see fish as disposable items-"oh well they got eaten,lets buy some more their cheap". Disgusts me.
its the same with mice for snakies keepers, some see food others pets, i see both. its also the same with insects (snails, crickets, phasmids etc) some see food other pets again myself i see both apart from crickets lol ewww cricket pets. Though i did once keep a locust to watch it grow as it was too big to be fed.

·
Registered
577 Posts

to my Alligator snapping turtle they ARE disposable items, they're his main food source and therefor they are supposed to die, its quite obvious that daz was asking because he didnt want them to get eaten so the "people" in this thread that think fish are disposable are..........well just me

but then again i have this crazy idea that cows and pigs are disposable aswell, like when i run out of bacon or steak, crazy me goes out and buys more,

i give my turtle as natural an environment as i can, his care is my priority and if he needs to catch and eat fish then thats what i'll provide, and believe me, i dont think there cheap enough

if his main source of food in the wild were cute lil rabbits and puppies, guess what i'd feed him??

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
its the same with mice for snakies keepers,

Not really,i doubt many snake keepers (myself included) fill their vivs with live rodents and let their snakes pick them off when they feel like it!
Dont get me wrong,im no tree-hugging hippy and have no problem with live feeding if needed,just dont agree with fish being kept with turtles to see if they make it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts