Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO... Quite interested in this!

I was just wondering how everyones family is about you keeping your snakes.
I still live at home with my Mum and brother and they are fine with my snakes, expecially my mum, shes very laid back, she cuddles them and doesnt really care that i just announce im getting more snakes.
Shes been bitten a few times too but she doesnt care lol.

My grandparents also hold my snakes and stuff.. so considering how many people are scared of snakes, im pretty fortunate :)

I suppose a lot of people on here dont live with their parents haha, but i wondered how close friends and reletives feel about your collection?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't live with parents, live by my self. my OH doesn't mind me having snakes. I've just got him a hatchling peublan for him to take home. his very good knows I will end up with many lol

my mum is scared of them but has touched my royal, everyone loves her lol my dad loves to hold my royal and my brother loves snakes. friends like them to. guess I'm lucky also :flrt:

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I live on my own so have my snakes all to myself, when my family visit my mum's scared of my snakes and refuses to even go near them and my brother loves them so much he's decided to get a snake of his own :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Parents are pretty apathetic about it, they don't have anything to do with looking after them and aren't fussed about holding them either. My fiance shares my interest in all things reptiles, but he refuses to hold my corns as he's scared of hurting them (he's over 6ft tall so has big hands), but loves my MBK and new royal.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
We have members of our family that will no longer come in , I have even been asked to cover over the vivs, which i dont do .

Reactions: Antw23uk

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i live with my mum, dad and brother. My Dad and brother aren't really interested, they dont like snakes but they dont not like them. My mum likes them; i catch her sitting in my room watching them lol, she'll give them cuddles.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
My mum never let me have any as a kid and my wife bought me my first one. My mum now loves em, my mrs is on here too, my kids live em, mother in law tho, hmmm hates them lol never mind eh?

·
Registered
944 Posts
My mum talks to a couple of my retics like there human beings! She has been bitten by a hatchling before and was mortified! On the whole mum and dad are quite tolerant as I have 4 retics and an annaconda in the spare bedroom, I'm quite lucky compared to most however it hasn't always been that way... I brought a corn and they could not understand why on earth I would want one, mum takes pride in showing them off to friends bless her :lol2:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My other half loves my royal and now refers to him as 'my snake'. My sister and nieces like him so much they just got their own today. My kids also like to hold the royal, my OHs kids like him but are more wary. My JCP on the other hand is referred to as 'the naughty snake' in the 5 months I've had him nobody has ventured within 5 ft of him when he's out lol

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I live with my parents and my sisters don't like them but my mum is ok with them. She will give them fresh water and likes loojing at then but won't pick one up.: victory:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My misses doesn't care along as I don't get anything that will get huge like a retic .thin there ugly to be honest so no worries there.

5 year old daughter tells everyone she has a boa constrictor called daisy even though it's not named, she also strokes it when it's out and after today's visit to the reptile room she is apparently getting her new green tree python that she has only seen one pic off one on google but wanted one for ages .kids logic hey :lol2:

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
i live with my mum (stroodsue)
she's so fine with snakes that she's getting a ball python :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
The first time I kept snakes mum and gran were frightened but soon came round and ended up handling them, dad didn't mind them.

I live alone now and started keeping snakes again last year, dad doesn't mind them ancleaning who didn'yd claims my Royal is his snake as he loves i, and a friend who comes in to help with the the cleaning who didn't like snakes fell in love with my baby Russian Rat Snake and started handling her, and now handles all the snakes and helps me clean them out. The only problem is likely to be a lady I'm chatting with on the net who wants to come over to meet up as she's so frightened of snakes she won't even look at pictures of them and wants me to move them out of the lounge and hid them away - which isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Snakes live with me, hubby and 8 and 10 year old kids. In laws were visiting for the day, mother in law came to see them but father in law didn't as he's not that keen. My mum loves holding them when she comes to stay but says if I ever get spiders they better be in a box, in a box, ina box, ina cupboard, in a locked and sealed room, in a different house to her.:lol2:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
my parents have never met my snakes ( lived here 6 years - tells you a lot eh)
My OH;s mum hates then and refuses to acknowledge their presence but his dad loves em and looks for any excuse to get his mum out the room so i can take them out for him.

My Oh has come round to actually quite like them although im not sure he would readily admit it! lol

My son isnt worried about them but isnt interested one iota in them , he will hold them for me while im cleaning and spray the crestie when he comes home from school etc etc but wont volunteer to do anything

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
these are all really interesting!
so many people seem wary of snakes!

Like i said, all but 1 of my mates who come round ask to get them out and hold them, my mum loves them, my brother isnt bothered.. my boyfriend really warmed up to them aswell...
Even my boyfriends parents are alright... his mum wouldnt want one in her house or to touch one, but she did me a huge favour by picking up my red blood python from bristol while she was headed up that way to save me train fare :)

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
My 2 son's both owned snakes in the past but pretty much lost interest and my daughter is happy to handle them. All 3 grandsons love to hold the snakes when they come and Joe ofter asks me to take some to his birthday parties.

My mum on the other hand, at 92 is very set in her ways. Her mum warned her as a kid to stay away from the snakes in the fields where they played because there were adders there and it's stuck with her. She also worked in a dockyard during the war and used to see snakes there, brought in on the ships. I have got her to the point of stroking them and she'll talk to them but I can't get her to hold one and I don't suppose I ever will. She has no idea how many I have :lol2:

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
My 2 son's both owned snakes in the past but pretty much lost interest and my daughter is happy to handle them. All 3 grandsons love to hold the snakes when they come and Joe ofter asks me to take some to his birthday parties.

My mum on the other hand, at 92 is very set in her ways. Her mum warned her as a kid to stay away from the snakes in the fields where they played because there were adders there and it's stuck with her. She also worked in a dockyard during the war and used to see snakes there, brought in on the ships. I have got her to the point of stroking them and she'll talk to them but I can't get her to hold one and I don't suppose I ever will. She has no idea how many I have :lol2:
Ah bless her! 92 - that's amazing. Come to think of it my Dad is 88 and still going strong. My folks are interested but I think they think I've lost the plot and my mum can't help exclaim "oh no!" everytime I get another one. However, as they live over 200 miles away in London and aren't fit enough to visit me it's not really a problem.

My husband and two kids all love 'em like me so I'm very lucky. OH has definitely got more into snakes since I've been keeping them. In fact the other week he swapped one of his lizards for a gorgeous BCI. That's now officially his snake.

In laws are tolerant. Even agreed to go to one of the open day meets at Amazon Exotics. Think if my kids were younger my mum-in-law might have had a few choice words though!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts