Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just visited this site W.P.F.S - W.P.F.S where they have examples of videos posted to Youtube involving cruelty to snakes.
Please bookmark this site and if you ever see any such videos, please e-mail the siteowner using the link at the bottom of the main page and they will take steps to get the users who posted the videos banned from Youtube.
Be aware that the videos on the site are graphic and upsetting.
THANKS!

·
Registered
519 Posts
thats sick. how can people do that.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Hiya, i think its a great idea and really good of you to post.
But i dont really get it, are these a actual authorised body or such, or just someone thats made this page. The thing is if he is trying to stop this from happening then why add the videos on there, its human nature for majority of people to play the video and all that is doing is adding views.

Also seems it was last updated on the 10th of april. Like i said i think it would have been a good idea but looks like all you are doing is telling him about a bad video, he uploads it onto his site and then youtube members flag the video?

·
Registered
326 Posts
My philosophy is simple: Let and let live.

When I first arrived here and commented on my feeling towards feeding snakes mice and also live feeding I was met with some ridicule. I know some on other forums which state that they would feed a small dog to their snake if it meant the snake would eat and survive. This to me smacks of double standards. I love all life whether its found in a blade of grass, snake, lion or human and as such I hate cruelty of any kind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hiya, i think its a great idea and really good of you to post.
But i dont really get it, are these a actual authorised body or such, or just someone thats made this page. The thing is if he is trying to stop this from happening then why add the videos on there, its human nature for majority of people to play the video and all that is doing is adding views.

Also seems it was last updated on the 10th of april. Like i said i think it would have been a good idea but looks like all you are doing is telling him about a bad video, he uploads it onto his site and then youtube members flag the video?
I posted the message with the best intentions after finding an advert for this site in Reptile Care magazine and paying a visit. It was advertised as a snake conservation site for the W.P.F.S. (World protection of snakes). As they had paid for their site to be advertised and i can see no way of them profiting from this i believe they are also acting in good faith. However, i can see your point entirely about adding more hits to these videos on You Tube and am now wondering if i've done the right thing in pointing it out. I suppose it all depends on exactly how the website owner intends to go about banning these videos. Obviously the ones on the site have yet to be banned.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I posted the message with the best intentions after finding an advert for this site in Reptile Care magazine and paying a visit. It was advertised as a snake conservation site for the W.P.F.S. (World protection of snakes). As they had paid for their site to be advertised and i can see no way of them profiting from this i believe they are also acting in good faith. However, i can see your point entirely about adding more hits to these videos on You Tube and am now wondering if i've done the right thing in pointing it out. I suppose it all depends on exactly how the website owner intends to go about banning these videos. Obviously the ones on the site have yet to be banned.
Hiya, i wasnt saying you did the wrong thing, like i say a group to stop online cruelty is a brillant idea and can see you posted this with the goodness of your heart...but is the WPFS a real thing or just something someone has made up if you get me as apart from the website which has no referances or registrations on. Plus though videos have been on since 10th of april and the admin has not been back on since.

it seems WPFS is just reporting the videos like anyone else..if you google him it comes with like 20 videos hes commented on saying stop hurting snakes or i will report you...its not really brute force though.....i just feel his site was done in good faith but all its doing is causing the videos to get more and more hits

cheers

·
Registered
387 Posts
Is WPFS a new organisation I assume? Or perhaps a couple of informed individuals?

I agree, I hate to see pointless killing of animals, full stop, and people being ignorant.

I have seen many examples on TV, say in India, or Australia, where somebody can phone up, if there is a snake on their property. The snake is rescued, and released, away from people - thus not actually killing the poor thing, and protecting the wild populations of that species. It's true that in all situations where mankind has encroached on the natural environment, animals of any species have become nearer to humans, and conflict has occurred.

I wonder if this organisation would become linked so some sort of rescue centre like that, something that would be involved in capture and release of snakes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
them videos are nasty i hate people who do things like that to animals its out of order the animals cant protect them selves against pricks like that id love to get that petrol can and poor it on the face and set it alight then see how funny it is

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
What exactly does the OP think is going to happen from a forum full of people looking at websites like that have videos like the snake cruelty on the front page? It's only going to promote, okay might get bigger and much more people flag and bring it the Youtube's moderators attention but the guys who actually created it will consider bigger and more violent acts of cruelty to such animals to gain more internet fame as essentially no-ones going to jump to attention to save there lifes such as a cat or a dog or any other domesticated animal, and the people who give them stick on Youtube are the same people who are calling herper posting vids of there rep enclosures sick for keeping wild animals even in the best conditions.

As it's always been around the debate of whether it's human to keep animals such as reptiles in enclosed enviroments regardless of whether it's the best kept husbandry or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What exactly does the OP think is going to happen from a forum full of people looking at websites like that have videos like the snake cruelty on the front page? It's only going to promote, okay might get bigger and much more people flag and bring it the Youtube's moderators attention but the guys who actually created it will consider bigger and more violent acts of cruelty to such animals to gain more internet fame as essentially no-ones going to jump to attention to save there lifes such as a cat or a dog or any other domesticated animal, and the people who give them stick on Youtube are the same people who are calling herper posting vids of there rep enclosures sick for keeping wild animals even in the best conditions.

As it's always been around the debate of whether it's human to keep animals such as reptiles in enclosed enviroments regardless of whether it's the best kept husbandry or not.

Its such a shame that your priorities lie with being able to keep snakes as pets above their ultimate protection. Being an 'Ultra Citizen' i presume you actually contacted Youtube yourself rather than just watching and flagging the video?

What do i think is going to happen? If enough people complain the people who made the videos can have their Youtube accounts removed.

Finally, nobody is forcing anyone to actually watch the videos.

I get so annoyed with so called 'Ultra Citizens' like yourself who get on your high horse to complain about other peoples posts. You're the Ultra Citizen. You tell me how we go about stopping cruelty to reptiles or does Ultra Citizen just mean you have more time than anyone else to sit at your computer? Come on lets hear your ideas.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I think it's all well and good getting the users removed from youtube or the videos banned but there still going to find some way to promote there acts of cruelty.

It would be far more productive if the website would work with higher authorities to find the posters of the videos and then throw the book at them.

It's a shame the police would see this as a waste of time though as there probably the only ones that could get the needed IP addresses and what not from youtube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's all well and good getting the users removed from youtube or the videos banned but there still going to find some way to promote there acts of cruelty.

It would be far more productive if the website would work with higher authorities to find the posters of the videos and then throw the book at them.

It's a shame the police would see this as a waste of time though as there probably the only ones that could get the needed IP addresses and what not from youtube.

I agree with what you said, it does seem a little futile, but i still think a little is better than nothing so if anyone would like to complain about these videos then you can contact Youtube at : [email protected].

·
Registered
42 Posts
You Tube Snake Cruelty.

Hello RFUK users,

Please let me start off by saying how deeply grateful i am how and overwhelming the support has been from you guys with regards to these damming videos on You Tube. No snake or animal deserves to be treated like this. I have done everything in powers now to get the users in question removed. I have e-mailed them direct and now awaiting to hear from them. Be assured though the minute i hear back i will certainly let you guys know.

Their was alot of doubt in my mind at first in displaying these videos on my site as i can understand how upsetting they are, but i think enough is enough and it is about time these inhumane individuals are showed up for what they are.

The World Protection For Snakes (W.P.F.S) was launched solely by myself in Feb 08. I truly believe that more work needs to be done by raising awareness to people that we need them. Their are so many factors that are effecting snake numbers across the world like, loss of natural habitat, human persecution (often driven by fear) these are 2 of the most important.

W.P.F.S is updated monthly with new news on and about snakes and new video's chosen on You Tube in the snakewatch tv. section, plus a new snake of the month.

I really hope W.P.F.S can still gain your support in the future as you are making the world a better place for snakes.

Thank you for everything guys!!

Richard @ W.P.F.S.
" A Sense of Pride...
A Sense of Passion"

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Hiya, as i said before i think its a brillant idea what you are trying to do.
I hate these videos and part the reason i dont even use youtube anymore.

But at the same time,if more and more people are being diverted to these videos in order to watch and report them, what if it back fires and the video doesnt get deleted but the creater gets so many hits that he decides to make more and more.

I think gaining a higher profile or going throught the youtube reptile community and show your strength in numbers would be better, and then have talks with youtube about having them removed rather than after 100000s of reports have been done

cheers and goodluck : victory:

·
Registered
864 Posts
i had a cotton mouth a few year ago thats so sad that video wish i could twat them with a few shovels

1 - 20 of 80 Posts